Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

To use a thimble ...or not?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt. Joe, May 21, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

I am renewing an anchor rode, and have a question.
    Has anyone had experience with splicing nylon line [1" three strand] directly to chain without a thimble.
    The fit of the thimbles through my hawspipes is rather a tight one and I would prefer to go line to chain on both rodes, but can the connection be trusted???
    Would love to hear from crews with experience in this regard, as I've always been a thimble kind a guy, and this guru I asked to do the splicing happens to swear we can go directly to chain... I am skeptical, as the guru is a sailor... ;)
  2. John B

John B Senior Member

Wouldn't the rope moving on the chain wear over time?

Isn't that what the thimble prevents?
  3. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

Well, no, the line does not move so their is no chafe, or so I am told...
    The line is actually braided into the links, much like it would be braided back into itself in the case of a loop around a thimble...
  4. mik-48

mik-48 New Member

Tough I didn't trust this method eider. I've been asked to do so on a sailing boat two years ago and to date it works fine.
  5. GordMay

GordMay New Member

Rope to Chain Splices

There are two basic techniques for fashioning a 3-Strand Rope to Chain Splice: the nearly-conventional “Chain-Eye Splice”, and the “Plaited” splice. See below for instructions.

WEST Marine performed some interesting tests (See link), which determined that the Anchor-Chain-Eye-Splice maintains about 75 - 85% of the rope’s original strength. This was deemed adequate (with explanation).

What the test did not consider, was the effects of shock over time. These were “new” splices, representing an initial condition. They caution that the splice must be examined often.

I’ve found no tests on the “Plaited” style splice, that your rigger seems to be recommending - although I have often heard it "touted" as a better solution. I suspect it's holding power, and would need further assurances as to it's efficacy.

Don't worry about your rigger's being a "sailor", as they generally have much more "anchor time" than power-boaters. He should have experience with similar sized boats and gear, though.

Rope to Chain Splice Test by Chuck Hawley, West Marine June, 1994
    http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/1994ropechainsplice.htm

3-Strand Rope to Chain Splice Instructions (New England Ropes)(EYE-SPLICE)
    http://www.neropes.com/splice/sp72_3-strand_to_chain.htm

How to make a Warp to Chain Splice (PLAITED SPLICE)
    http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

HTH
    Gord