Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

To those who've been there...and back!

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by pugetsound37, Nov 13, 2006.

1. pugetsound37

pugetsound37 New Member

I have a crew of shipfitters close to beginning the job of replating the bottom on RXA-37-3002. Before this work gets underway, I would like some input regarding access to frames from the cabin spaces. So, is it possible to do the job by removing only the floorboards or, will it be necessary to remove portions of or all of the interior millwork (cabinets, lockers, galley...). I know from a couple of Connies that once the joints on some of the millwork are separated, they rarely will go back in a way that doesn't appear to be just right.
    Any thoughts would surely be appreciated!
    Tom Hoffmann
    RXA-37-3002
    Seattle, WA
  2. AvalonTom

AvalonTom New Member

I have purchased a roamer that required extensive work. It will be best if you remove as much of the interior wood work as possible, it will be easier to get to and weld. So far I have gutted the interior from the master stateroom up to the engine room bulkhead and replace most of the bottom steel,as well as stringers and ribs. Are you replacing the steel or replating it? In my opion replating is not the way to go. If water gets between the two plates the rust process will start again and this time you will not see it. I would cut out the old rusted section and replace it with a new piece of fitted steel, weld both sides.
  3. pugetsound37

pugetsound37 New Member

Thanks, for the feedback. Actually, I was essentially interested in the gouge on the millwork. I have been the owner of a steel ship-fitting, configuration, and repair yard in Seattle for over many years. We perform all repairs in accordance with Coast Guard guidlelines found in Circular "NVIC 7-68," Notes on Inspection and Repair of Steel Hulls. This may be downloaded free of charge at http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nvic/indexold.htm

The Roamer is my vessel, not a client's. Since it has already been skinned-over the existing plate once already by some jack-leg years ago, I will be taking it down to the frames a section at a time. Thus, the interest in the interior.

Years ago, it was a fairly common thing for folks to skin over existing plate on coastal barges running to Alaska. The void between plates was pressure-filled using a high-vacuum grease through numerous grease fittings screwed into the new skin. The void was filled until grease appeared through vent holes strategically drilled elsewhere on the plate. The fittings were then, backed-out and all holes closed-off.

NVIC 7-68 would be a good read for every steel Roamer owner. Perhaps a link may be added somewhere in the technical section on the main Roamer site.

Tom Hoffmann