Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Tips for dock mate and captain

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by margo123, Jul 13, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. margo123

margo123 New Member

Is there a recommend gratiuty for a yacht delivery? I'm working with
    one captain and one mate.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Tips are a little different than a trip with owners where you are catering to the owners and doing a little more work than operating the vessel and rinsing it down/chamoising each day. However, the deliveries are a lot harder on your body as your running the vessel as many hours as you safely can each day and getting bounced around. The amount I've been tipped is all over the map, sometimes nothing (this is usually if the owner isn't on the recieving end) but hasn't happened too often, to a full day's pay on a week delivery, to 10-20%...usually closer to 15-20%......to double pay.......... It's hard to say without knowing the trip, the vessel, how it's being run (how many hours a day), and what fixes the crew has had to do......but I'd say somewhere between 10-20% per day.....
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I agree with Capt. J, tips are all over the map for deliveries. If the owner isn't on board I generally don't expect a tip, but have often gotten a day's pay. With the owner on board at least a day's pay would be expected, especially if you made an extra effort to save time, money or took care of a few things along the way. Normal days on the water I generally expect a $100 tip, and have often had my rate doubled. On those, if I don't get a tip I'm generally busy the next time he calls. DK about deckhand's tips. These days it's hard just finding a decent deckhand. I'll often run with two captains, give a break on the rate for two captains and we split tips evenly.