Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Tipping Dockside

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptEvan, May 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Just back from a week long rescue/return of an inoperable boat on the south side of Cuba. Got to know the dockmaster of Marlin Marina CLS very well, and he shared a sad story. He prefaced it by saying that all workers on the island were government employees, lived in dorms, ate marginal cafeteria food, were paid a non-sustaining wage, and depended heavily on guest gratuities in providing for families back home. Did he tell me this with a purpose, of course, yet the facts remain so.

Evidently a large yacht, either owned, or chartered by, a well known search engine founder with a Russian/Bulgarian given name, recently pulled into Cayo Largo, Cuba, seeking provisions and fuel. A woman, in charge for the vessel, came in by tender, and had the marina staff flying in all directions. Finally in the evening, with local eyes aboard, the mothership entered the fuel harbor to take on 18,000 litres. Both the DM and fuel dock guy spent the next 6 hours at the slow pump, finishing at 2:30am. With all they had come for and more, the bills were paid by plastic, and the yacht was gone into the starry night. Not a single dime or peso was offered to anyone, let alone those going above and beyond.

We have discussed charter guest tipping of crew. I would be curious to learn what charter or private yacht owners policy or practice is when it comes to those that serve them. Certainly percentages do not apply, but I would think common sense would.

I have always felt that tips are so minor in comparison to the cost of running a boat. Careful re-fueling, help with lines in a blow, arranging local support, repairs, delivering provisions, etc.; are all justification for a tip of some level if the service provided was excellent and needed. Even for my own boat, I think what is another $20-30 for the fuel guy/gal when spending $1,500?

As a secondary purpose, with a picture of the yacht forthcoming, I hope to encourage the owner or crew in the sad tale above to try to make it right, and assuage that dark impression left at Marlin CLS about American yachties. Remember, we are all very likely going to get a chance to passage those beautiful waters in our lifetime. I certainly plan to, but for fun next time.

Evan
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

First, you're dealing with second hand information so exposing the yacht owner and showing a picture of the yacht is not something I would suggest.

Now to the issue. There are many around the world who are appalled at the tipping in the US. However, I don't care about opinions, I'm going to tip for services and if they're done well and with a good attitude I'll be generous. Certainly if I can afford a large boat I can afford a small gratuity. Realizing what is small to me might be very meaningful to someone else is further reason.

We tip rather randomly based on time and service. We may tip $10 just for taking our lines on a smaller boat as we dock and we may tip $100 for one who has provided many services over a days time. We also do tip customs and immigration and others in such positions when in foreign countries. We are also guilty, if you want to call it that, of extravagant tips to those who have done an exceptional job of serving us over many times and who we know could very much benefit and put it to good use.

We are very conscious of those less fortunate than us and glad to reward good service by them.
  3. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

You're right OB, not my place. Just some anger expressed on behalf of a few good people, who shared parts of the same story with me. When Yacht Forums goes Spanish, it will be theirs to disclose.

I found most of the officials there quite humble and unassuming, and worthy of a thank you. In Havana, however, where the clearing house is well staffed, they more take a gratuity than allow you to give one. And you must pay every one of them, under the subtle hint of delays. I am sure that is the way it has been for a long time.
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  4. olderboater

I just hesitate to ever disclose stories when I may not know the whole story. What appears so obvious, may not be the fact. Now, to use it to start a general discussion is fine.

You mentioned charters and captains as well. Such a disparity in how people tip. On charters they've generally been informed that it's expected. But what about when you're just using a non-employee captain for a trip on your own boat. One thing I've found over the years is "when in doubt, tip." If it's absolutely against policy, would put their job at risk, then they'll tell you, you'll take it back, they'll still know you appreciated it. Now, do you tip the guy pumping you gas when he's actually an owner of the marina? I still try and some say "thank you" and some say they just can't accept it.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I spent a lot of time in Roatan Honduras. Those kids bent over backwards and I gave big out of my pocket when the budget was exhausted. When the trips were finished, the projected/scheduled expenses budget reimbursed me and the ship still came out way ahead. I should of tip'd more. It was great.

My visits thru the Bahamas have always resulted in great dock side service. AND they have been tip'd well.

One night at Boat Harbor restaurant (Marsh Harbor), We left pennies. She knew it was coming. Worst meal & service ever in the Bahamas in my life. Went to the outside bar (where we had to get our drinks) and paid a separate (good) bar tip. I'm picky in my rum drinks, no ice.... big tip....

I look forward to a visit to Havana, scratching my parts thinking about it this summer. Wish the politico would get their ship together (morons)..

As stateside, again we tip well when a good service is provided, hand signals when it is not.

Oh, Never been to a bad place a second time.

Tipping is a small expense that should always be considered for service. If you ask for a lil extra, you need to deliver a lil extra.

I'm a pain (hence name),, I tip well to those that deliver (bless them).

You want your ship to be welcomed for a next visit???? Liquordale or outer reef lodge some where?? They remember.....
    Oh, Never been to a bad place a second time. I also remember.
  6. olderboater

You want pleasant stays and return visits, you show your appreciation and treat the people kindly and you tip well. We've been treated so incredibly well in so many places. We found ourselves staying an extra day in Nicaragua simply because of the hospitality we received. Those working at the resort and marina were the truly lucky ones in the area and our tips meant so much to them and to their families. However, they treated us truly like royalty. It made the stay there so special in a place that was never anticipated. Somewhat they were a destination to break the trip, but it turned into far more. We feel lucky people welcome us into their countries, their towns, and always try to show our thanks to them. We've yet to travel anywhere by water that we wouldn't like to return to some day.
  7. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

Do you suggest tipping when going out on a launch to your own mooring? I was thinking perhaps on the return? New to using a launch service this season.
  8. olderboater

Others may have done as you describe more frequently but I'd tip both ways. It may not be the same person assisting you. Also, tipping when they take you might make them quicker on the return, even though it shouldn't.

I use to think hard about what to do on valet parking as I didn't use it much most of my life, but I look at it much like this. Most people just tip when they retrieve the car. Well, the person who controls how it's parked and where is the one taking it plus it may not be the same person retrieving it. They're each half of the deal so I now tip both ways. I personally don't like valet parking. Oh, and I tip more if they let me leave the car out front in their prime reserved space.

Basically I tip when those in a service type job perform a service for me. Typically it's after the service is completed. I see taking you to your mooring though as completion of that service.

That is just me personally. I'm not saying your thoughts are wrong. Hopefully others will speak up. But even if it was 10-1 with me being the one I'd still tip.
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It's a rare occasion when someone doesn't receive a tip from me. They have to go out of their way to be awful for me to skip the tip. I always tip heavily at the ports that I frequent. "To Insure Prompt Service" means what it says.

In my professional life, a few well placed C notes are like magic when placed strategically in the hands of boatyard personnel that have the ability to make your day run more smoothly.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I could be wrong, but Biancardo is asking about tipping his home port operator. My own view is that visiting and home ports are different creatures. Home port (as visiting) be courtesy, ask if the mate on duty would like a slice of pizza when you go out, bring something unexpected (nonalcoholic) to the dock house when you arrive (like those home made cannoli's) , and above all remember the holiday's. But tipping on a per trip basis is just not yacht club/marina protocol. My view and experience, I'm entitled to it, so no unsubstantiated groans please.
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I recently made the mistake of answering a question on a different site asking what's an appropriate tip. Naturally I encourage boat owners to tip well, because I've been there. Dock workers work hard, suffer a lot of injuries and keep smiling, earn very low salaries and most are either working their way through school or trying to support a young family on very little money. They depend on tips to live. Plus it's nice to do nice. Then there's also the getting treated a little bit better. We don't tip nuts, but we tip well.

OMG, you'd think I attacked the Pope. Talk about hate mail. Everything from "redistributing the wealth" to being a communist to ruining it for other boaters, etc.. So I won't say here how much we tip, but I'm sorry. I will not tip someone who works hard and makes my job easier $1.00.

About tipping the launch operator, yes tip in both directions. 1st, you're more likely to tip less if you just do it on the way home. Your sub-consious will tell you that you're only tipping for this one ride. 2nd, You may have different launch operators leaving the morning guy shorted. Plus the better you tip the faster they try to get you to and from your mooring. Especially in your home port you want that reputation. When I used to go out to Shelter Is. our guy was always looking for us. That could get the boss to the party on shore a half hour faster.:)
  12. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

Beau - You are correct, I was specifically talking about the launch operator for our mooring. There is no marina, just a small dock with 15 minute tie up for water etc. It's town owned, and I had to pay a grand for the season to use the launch. My initial thought was a buck per rider on the way back in. It being eaiser to tip when we are getting off rather then when we are at the boat and trying to get everyone aboard safely. Last weekend I had 4 guests and my family of four, gave him $10 on the way back (same guy).

How about on a Saturday when I may be doing some work on the boat (it's just me) and i'm making a couple trips out?
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Throw him a $10 on the first trip out and tell him you will be going in and out a few times that day. It's easy to tip on the way out, hand him the tip before you get to your boat, not after you're alongside.

I still usually tip if at a home marina, if it's a large one. If it's a smaller marina (50< slips), you might be best just tipping 1 big tip to each employee at Christmas time or what have you. But I usually tip each in or out of the slip rather than 1 large one each year. Because the person serving you at that time is the one who should be tipped.....he might not be working there when you tip once a year....etc.
  14. olderboater

People like to feel appreciated. Now, words come cheap. They should come but it's like employees in a business. If you praise them but never back it up with a raise, they don't feel appreciated. So, the only way to really show service people that you truly are thankful for what they do for you is with money.

Another reason I'd tip each way even at home marina is that the closer the reward is to the actual time of service the more it means. People are more motivated by $20, twenty times per year, than $400 once a year. You're thanking them more frequently. We all respond to positive reinforcement.

A couple of trips in and out, perhaps a bit less but really the work each time is the same. Now, five times in and out in a day, I might do different.
  15. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

I get it, and I generally do tip above what I think is normal. It's just that in this instance, where the only service provided is one I've paid for (pick up/drop off) It seems a bit much to tip both ways.
  16. olderboater

I know many might agree with you, but I see it differently. By definition you're wealthy. You own a $750,000-$1 Million boat. I cannot in my mind then reconcile that to being tight with $5-10 to a person likely making under $20,000 a year and yet providing you service and being kind to you, even if it is their job.

I'm not suggesting indiscriminately throwing money away, but I am suggesting that, in my opinion, this isn't the place to start saving it.

Again, the rewards of reasonable generosity in these areas will return to you many times. I cannot tell you all the dozens of times we have gotten such thoughtful favors and assistance from service people such as these.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Seems to be a contradiction in terms here, no one I know docks a large yacht to take on what could be burnt in a day.
  18. olderboater

Frankly, this is way too gossipy. That doesn't mean it didn't happen but when things like this come second or third hand, it's subject to question. This obviously can't be verified and one of the problems with the internet is a story like this can easily become viral and suddenly be accepted as fact. This entire discussion could have been more productive without mentioning the alleged charterer or owner. The discussion wouldn't have lost anything.

Something like, "I was told by a dockmaster that a very large yacht came in and fueled until after midnight and then paid by credit card and didn't tip anyone. How do you feel about this?"

Then my response would be that I find that to be extremely distasteful.

Also, consider for a moment the possibility the tip was put on the credit card and the employees never made aware or it shared with them. I've known of that happening in the US.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you only want to tip one way, then only go one way.
    When you go to a restaurant, you pay the owner for your food and being served. Your server can drop your food on the table and then hide, but they stay ready to serve you more because they're hoping for a good tip. If you tip well and come back a few days later you'll probably find the service even better. Do that as a routine and the wait staff will fight to wait on your table. Leave a lousy tip and come back a few days later and you'll be lucky to even get seated. I used to get a salt bagel most mornings on my way to work, and always took good care of the staff. Often I'd walk in the door and find a long line. Invariably one of the girls would appear at the end of the counter by the door with a salt bagel in hand. Saved me probably 15 minutes most days. Now normally I don't tip for counter service, but this was my home turf. It paid.
    If you get on the launch with several others heading to their boats do you want to be dropped on yours first or last? When you leave your boat with sunburned guests looking to get home for some aloe or wanting to hit the restaurant before the crowd gets there do you want the launch operator to pick up from every other boat before picking you up on his 3rd or 4th run, or first? Your launch operator may smile sweetly, but don't kid yourself that he doesn't know who tips the best and worst.

All of those are legitimate selfish reasons to tip well, but the best reason to tip well is because that launch operator needs it to survive with this low salary, seasonal job, and if you own a boat he needs those few dollars a lot more than you do.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very true. The "who" and even the "where" was irrelevant, questionable and distracting. Your last paragraph brings up another related topic. I too have heard of this all too often. In fact there was a notorious case of this featured on "Kitchen Nightmares". Tips should always be in cash.