Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Westport

Throttle lever tension

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Piper, Sep 6, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Piper

Piper New Member

My Carver Riviera has the same stock throttle levers found in most 1980's Carver's
    One lever has just the right amount of tension and feel. By that I mean the lever stays in it's set position regardless of the movement of the boat and can generally resist any glancing arm movements as I reach for other instruments. It takes light but firm hand pressure to make any adjustments. The other lever on the other hand always sees sloppy and loose in comparison. One finger can adjust it, and it can also easily slip out of position.

I'm just wondering if there is any point in the system where a tension adjustment can be made?...in the lever mechanism under the dash?, in the throttle cable itself?....at the carburetor perhaps? Or do I just have to replace the throttle cable itself and hope that a new one will provide more tension?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Piper
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Assuming cable controls, by the engine end of the cable there should be a clip holding the cable case. This often slips off. The result can be what you describe or no response at all. Another possibility is a stretched/ breaking cable. Check that the clip is attached, and then have someone move the throttle while you check the reaction at the motor end.

I seem to recall seeing a tension screw on certain types of throttle handles, but I doubt that's your situation.