Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Thoughts on single handing a Jeanneau 57

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by johnwi, Apr 18, 2011.

1. johnwi

johnwi New Member

I am thinking of getting a 2011 Jeanneau 57. i would be operating it pretty much by myself most of the time. With the proper training (i have sailing experience) is this too big of a boat for one person?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't single hand any size vessel in the ocean. Anything can happen from falling overboard to a fire, it is not prudent nor safe. As for single handing, it's a lot of boat to even dock and handle lines solo in any type of wind or current. IMO yes it is too big too single hand.
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

We have a B57 that I wouldn't single hand and I'd like to think I've done a fair bit of sailing, multiple crossings of the pond, regattas and a good bit of pretty hard core racing. My Father and I have been out alone without a deck mate and even that was tough, and we were in fair conditions. Two people, pretty well versed with the boat itself, as well sailing in general, would be a minimum. My Father and I can handle it, it's just a lot of work.

We also have a Beneteau First 45, that I have single handed a handful of times, mostly under good to fair conditions, but even that was a handful for the lack of a better term. There's too much going on, too much moving mass, where you don't enjoy the sailing. Every single clock cycle in your head is consumed.

IMO, the 57 is too much boat for one person to still be in the boundaries of safe passage.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

After reading the spec sheet and looking over the layout, I'd say this boat is set up to accomodate single handing. That said, and although I have way less sailing experience than PropBet, I'd have to put a big ditto below his comment and a really big ditto below CaptJ's. Singlehanding a boat like this would be nothing but work and danger when everything is working perfectly. Good luck when it's not.
  5. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

I agree with the posts above, for passage making on power you would be fine if the destination marina has people helping to tie up.

However, if using the sails as well, your reactions would be delayed and the sails on the 57 will be too big to handle by yourself. Even if you have electric winches, a wind shift during a Genoa furling can heel the boat quickly and you might injure yourself.

You would need to have a safety harness and a lifejacket&hooked to the boat at all times if this is a single passage or something similar. Regards
  6. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

NYCAP123 posted almost verbatim what I was going to post. What I wanted to add was a representative of the Australian distributor for Jenneau yachts saying it's "quite possible" to single hand the yacht. My sailing experience is mostly on smaller boats but I have some on boats that size and I definitely wouldn't single hand one any distance or offshore.

About 2:10 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLAfvZItWos&feature=related
  7. burpnrun

burpnrun New Member

I know it's four months on from the original post, but thought this might be a worthwhile comment for others reading/contemplating an off-shore venture in a sailing boat of the size being considered. Don't know why one would consider 57' if solo-ing. Much, much more than needed to live on.

Thanks to blind, good luck I was put into a Morgan OI 33 by Sally Morgan, Charlie's wife, in Florida when I was 51 or so and went down to Florida to buy my first boat. Perfect boat, 12' beam, huge interior for its size, standard sails, so hard to get in too much overpowered situations. Cruised exclusively solo in Caribbean for about two years, mostly up above BVI/Rio Dulce. Not fast, but very dependable ... you just know it will take a nuclear event to dent it! Glad I didn't opt for a 41'. The 4' draft helped, a lot!

Biggest problems were long passages, fog, nights, you need to keep awake! Also, if anything goes wrong, and it will, there's only you for everything. Hit the March "no name" surprise hurricane while 80-90 miles out in the Gulf, wouldn't want to repeat it. Lots of heavy wind situations, when you just want to sleep, but there's no way to hit a "pause" switch. I even became convinced on a voyage, 60 miles off-shore around midnight, dodging violent thunder and lightning storms, that I was entraped by an oil containment boom surrounding a floating and lashed-together house and barn that mysteriously "disappeared" when dawn arose, one hour after my last check.

For one A to B solo voyage, it might be OK in something larger, but not all the time. Anchoring is a lot easier (and a lot more options) in a smaller boat too. Keep your purchase simple, whatever it is, minimize bells and whistles. Autopilot good, though, either vane or electrical!! Wish I had installed a powered watermaker and form of electricity generator, since water (especially) and fresh/unspoiled food were the greatest drawback of extended sailing.

My prior experience was "extensive" dingy sailing in inland lakes! The "sail" portion was comparable, but nothing prepares you for long, offshore passages, foreign situations, night/fog sailing, et al. Nor a leaky rudder seal (practically sinking the Morgan in an hour), nor engine conking out just while navigating through a narrow drawbridge passage at night in an ebbing tide, nor thumping through 18-20' waves for 24 hours straight. Forget sea anchors/parachutes! Great idea, impossible to deploy and manage.

The west coast is different than the Carib, I know, not much between US and Hawaii to bang into, or to drop a hook and "rest"! Don't count on "never happens to me" --- it will. Wear safety gear! And have an over-spec'd, inspected life-raft/cannister. The one that came with my boat purchase disintegrated upon first test inflation during inspection. Shark bait. Hope this helps.

P.S. Teak looks nice, but a 100% fibreglass boat is the only way to go, unless you like being a maintenance slave. Can get away with non-powered winches on a 33', but will probably need powered stuff for 57'. KISS.