Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay

This is why car designers shouldn't design yachts...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Oct 4, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

...windows on the rub rail!

I haven't been a fan of Nissan's design language for years. Now I know why. I won't publish the name of the designer. I'll just post the pic... ;)

Attached Files:

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

This kind of things drives me nuts.

It looks like the hull flares out under the rub rail making it useless and it also seems like the windows bulge out.

That said in Europe they don't use rub rails like we do here with our wooden pilings so it doesn't make much of a difference. But then they try to sell boats here without rub rail!!
  3. Ward

Ward Senior Member

The design of the Infinity doesn't grab me, but it's ok. The boat, however, is hideous. Although you didn't post the name of the designer, you did leave a clue for those of us who wouldn't have been able to figure it out, and that led me to some more pictures... The picture you posted is probably the most flattering angle of the yacht, it's awful from every other angle.
  4. YachtForums

Came across a few more fails at waterborne wheels...

The first is Toyota's attempt at a Dutch shoe...

Here's an example of typical Mercedes engineering. Make everything more complicated, then program it to fail after a specific number of cycles, which is usually a few days after your warranty expires. (skip forward to 2 minutes, 30 seconds)...

Next up is a Lexus design exercise that may launch a new nautical term; the 'spindle' bow. Great for piercing waves as well as surfacing sea life...

5. 30West

30West Member

I've been a fan of Toyota engineering for a long time, including their boats. Their Lexus division seems to like going off the design rails, but regular Toyotas are pretty straight-forward in design and engineering. I'd like to come across an old Epic.
    Ponam 26.jpg Ponam.jpg Ponam-35.jpg epic-21.jpg epic-sx-22-612033.jpg
  6. YachtForums

Agreed on Toyota engineering. I'm a 4runner fan, but engineering excellence aside, Lexus seems overstyled. They all look alike, even the new flagship LF-C.

We published a news piece on Toyota's sport boats a number of years ago but I didn't know they ventured into ski boats too.
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I guess I really am in the minority that loves the current Lexus styling...

(But not on a boat.)
  8. 30West

30West Member

I knew there had to be someone.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, they are selling very well so you're apparently not the only one.
  10. 30West

30West Member

Toyota is extremely good at market analysis, I don't doubt there are people with more money than I who like their Lexus designs. If people like me were running things, they would have a lot of new diesel, stickshift Land Cruisers sitting unsold on their lots.
  11. olderboater

I learned many years ago that when in business, it's not what I like, it's what the consumer likes. When I first started to work, the President of the company had an incredible idea for a licensed product for kids. We made some and then held a focus group. The kids didn't like it, the moms didn't like it. Compared it to our competitor's product and 9 out of 10 who liked one or both chose the competitor. Our merchandiser starts to blame it on the focus group and wants to continue. The President said "it's dead. I was wrong. On to the next idea." I never forgot that and no idea, not even mine, was ever sacred. I know a young lady who just started a fashion line and the response to it is amazing. Who guided her? Sales clerks on store floors telling her what worked and didn't, looking at her designs, then her putting a few garments in the store and watching the reaction, and focus groups, not some VP's sitting in their offices.
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just the other day I discovered, completely by accident, that you can get exactly that from Toyota in Gibraltar. 200 Series LC GX-R V8, 5 spd manual, with a 4.5L twin turbo diesel.
  13. 30West

30West Member

I see them all the time in Japan, less frequently in China and Europe. Would love to bring home a nice 70-series.
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Oh, and Yamaha also built a 33ft sailboat.

I knew someone who had one in Antigua. As they were leaving harbour, his wife put the kettle on for a coffee and a dishcloth fell onto the burner. Yep, the whole thing caught fire and they lost everything before they even had got a mile away.
    yamaha 33.jpg
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Apparently it still sells in quite a few places. Personally, not a fan... it's too awkward looking, stuck in that nowhere zone between vintage/classic and modern.
  17. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

There was a 25' sailboat as well, not to mention all sorts of other craft. I was told, once upon a time, that Yamaha was the largest recreational vessel builder in the world. It appears that it may have been true circa 1983, according to THIS.
  18. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

19. olderboater

I like that better than the 50' AMG.
  20. Ward

Ward Senior Member

There were a lot of the 30' and 33' sailboats sold in the early 1980s. 35 years later, there are still 3 of them (2 30s, 1 33) at the marina where I work. They had/have lots of interesting details, especially how various fittings were recessed into the decks. I don't recall ever seeing the 25' model around here, though.