Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Burger

The Yacht & Brokerage Show Miami 2012

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by discokachina, Feb 9, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

The yachts are already mooring along Collins Avenue http://www.showmanagement.com/media/originals/13746-miami_show_2012_3d2.jpg in Miami Beach in preparation for the 24th Annual Yacht and Brokerage Show being held Feburary 16th - 20th.

So far we have Allegria, Namaste, and My Bella Vita.

Diamonds Are Forever at 200' is the longest yacht on the roster. There will be 62 yachts over 100' in the show so there will be quite a few awesome boats to choose from. There will be 61 boats to see between 75' and 100' and an amazing 104 boats between 50' and 75' to tickle your fancy. There will be 56 boats between 23' and 50' to round out an incredible gathering of 283 :D pleasure craft. Check'em all out here. Boats On Display | Yacht & Brokerage Show in Miami Beach 2012 And best of all the Collins Avenue show is FREE!

Hopefully we will have lots of YF folks attending who can post a few pictures for us all to enjoy.
  2. Jeff Langs

Jeff Langs New Member

83' Lyman -Morse

It is amazing how they squeeze in all these yachts for the show

Attached Files:

3. Oaktree

Oaktree New Member

Simple qustion

I searched the FAQ's and couldn't find an answer.

Are you able to tour the larger yatchs on Collins Avenue or is this just for prospective buyers/charters? I'm right across the street from the Hargrave display on a work trip and it makes me want to visit next year.
  4. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Usually you can go by, talk to the dealer and schedule an appointment. The mid-size ones (circa 100ft) will be appointment only. Smaller is usually stop by and board, and the larger ones are usually invitation only/prior relationship...

rgds
  5. discokachina

Any Show Pics?

Is anyone at the show taking any pics they can post?
  6. discokachina

7. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

8. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Did the Collins St show today... pretty good!

I was over at the main show and sail section on business yesterday and this AM, and broke free today so I went over the brokerage show. The scuttlebutt with the vendors I know (that are not in the brokerage or new boat end of the business) is that new boat sales aren't happening at hoped for rates, but brokerage is doing very well.

I went on many of the newer LRC/trawler types, really liked the Krogen Express (no longer owned by KadeyKrogen) and was very impressed with the new 52' Kadey-Krogen's engine room layout (has twin option). Nordhaven had only one boat (64'), very impressive. Swift Trawlers and Outer Reefs are very nice, but didn't leave any lasting impressions. Saw a couple brokerage boats, one of which (custom 84') sure makes me wish I was retired and a little more cash heavy!:rolleyes:

Last time I was at this show was 4-5 years ago, foot traffic seemed about the same level, pretty strong. I walked some of the other areas... lots going on in the sportfisher areas, also lots of fully crewed larger yachts promoting both sales and charter, queen of the show is clearly Diamonds are Forever, towers over everything else.

I started to take pictures and quickly realized that is not my forte, indeed I hired a pro for a different project (not boat show) the day before! I have renewed respect for the folks that do provide the dazzling pictures we see posted here. Hopefully some will post some that do the show good service!
  9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Hi Chuck,
    It sounds as though you are 'trawler oriented' at this stage in your boatng life. And I noticed you were from Maine, with what I guess is a more 'traditional' outlook on vessel designs?

So I wish to ask you a question. Would a vessel design like either of these two have any appeal for you? ...just wondering
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-sailing-discussion/6710-motor-sailers-philip-rhodes-john-alden-2.html#post41824

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-sailing-discussion/6710-motor-sailers-philip-rhodes-john-alden-6.html#post132022
  10. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Motorsailers and trawlers

Absolutely, my uncle had a motorsailer that was very similar, but with a much taller rig. George Buelher's Ellemaid design is another one that fascinates me. Most of my boat time over the last decade has been skippering a 47' (64' sparred) traditional schooner, great fun but requires a crew of 4 to sail safely, 3 in a pinch, which meant I spent a lot of time using the iron sail. That, combined with a spouse that likes the space of a powerboat, has me going to the "dark side" (or actually the "light side", since powerboats have so much more windows/ports).

I've never run a boat with all the systems a typical LRC has, which also is an attraction. I was a mechanic in a past life, and managing a bunch of systems is a plus to me. But I'm still working for a living, and that level of boat really is only practical for live-aboard, so its still in the "2-5 year plan"...

Chuck
  11. brian eiland

Interesting, I googled Ellemaid and came up with this site. I knew of the Diesel Ducks, but I had never visited this site.

Georges Stock Plans and Prices

The ladies also like 'level sailing'. You better start looking at catamaran motorsailers...level sailing, lots of airy portlights in the saloons, separation of quarters, easy to push at leisurely paces under small power or less sail.....;)

I'm thinking that those 2 Rhodes and Alden designs could be built considerable lighter these days, and thus carry a higher ballast ratio in their already short draft....thus a little more sail area could be added to either. I also like their big windowed saloons.
    "One particular design has haunted me for years. It was I think a Phil Rhodes design somewhere around 60'~70', a ketch, with a sizable twin engine room, over which was located a grand main saloon with portlights above deck level. This main saloon had great comfort and expansive vista's, and opened onto a sizable aft deck with a fishing chair at its center"

Thanks for your response Chuck
  12. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Traditional thoughts

I don't want to hijack this thread, if an admin is reading this could this discussion be moved into a new thread titled "traditional yacht thoughts"?

I grew up near a William Hand motosailor, I always thought his designs were special and am puzzled why there aren't many new builds following his blend of trade offs. Certainly with today's technology it could yield interesting results! I think there's one on the market named "Burma", the Rhodes are similar.

I'm sitting at the airport, pecking this in via smartphone, so I'll sign off now but check in later!
  13. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Additional thoughts...

Did a cat charter a few years back, and both my spouse and I basically thought it wasn't our cup of tea. Was around Stuart FL for the first few days and didn't venture outside due to weather. Things finally calmed down enough to give it a try, and it was very uncomfortable. I had a Hobie Cat in my late teens, and used to not take her out unless it was near small craft warnings... that's a blast... but a boat with a galley is a different story, even with the sails down.

At the Miami show I boarded several cats, and even the 50 footers had cabins that resembled v-berths of a 27' foot monohull. One must-have for me is sleeping master arrangements where either party can get up in the middle of the night without crawling over the other, or disassembling the bed sheets in the process. So its a queen with both sides open to access, or two twin berths (actually I like the twin & full pairings I've seen in some older boats).

Murray Peterson (oldtime Maine NA) said (paraphrasing) "When you row away from your boat, if you're not pulled to take a look back at her and have your breath taken away, there's something wrong". I've taken those thoughts to heart, and frankly am amazed that so much of what I saw in Miami just falls short. Granted, many of the buyers have no rooting in boating to base their decisions on... and the market follows the money... but really now? Why aren't the older traditional "best" being reborn in today's environment? What would Nat Herresoff, William Hand, John Alden, Frank Huckins, and their type do if they could participate in today's market?

I know there are lots of NA's lurking... what are your thoughts???!:D
  14. brian eiland

I agree Chuck. I'll wait to post a reply in case they do move it.
    Regards, Brian
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You must have not stepped on board the Discovery 50!!! Full beam master forward for starter and very nicely finished with great attention to details
  16. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Discovery 50

That I didn't... and clearly it checks the boxes on the sleeping accommodations. Still, I don't see a cat in our future. Frankly, when I see windows (not ports) that came off a CAD program the boat is disqualified on principal. I suspect those who know what I'm talking about will resonate, and those that don't won't.

I don't see a Nordhavn in our future either, but the needle is closer to that end of things than a cat. Not to say cats can't cross oceans and do other wonderful things!

With all that said, my wife will probably ferret this post out and say we need a multihull:eek:. Good friends that did the Pacific in monohull, then had a trimaran while on land during the "kid years", just re-entered the market and boiled it down to two candidates (one monohull, one cat), and their last email had the monohull under offer...
  17. brian eiland

You are spot on there.

You must have read my posting on the Boot Dusseldorf subject thread :rolleyes:

18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Or windows within inches of the rub rail on production boats with light hulls!!

Last month I helped a neighbor deal with a leaky window on a "luxury" badges boat in the master... One of those fixed windows a couple of feet a over WL. May have been designed by an Italian studio but the Midwest factory bean counters must have specified no more than 1/4 tube of sealant per window (or may be a union worker did the job...)

Visually, I don't find catamarans appealing and yes, I want to feel compelled to take that look back after I dock, anchor, or park (that s why I drive an ole E-type...). But I have to say that the Bill Dixon designed Discovery is good looking with just the right amount of styling, not over the top a la azmutt. Good visibility thruout and from what I recall the windows have double layer glass

If you are still in town, they are in key Biscayne for a few days doing demo sails
  19. discokachina

Boat Show Traffic

Well, now I remember why I don't like going to Miami, the horrendous traffic! I thought I would go down early this morning and take some shots of the boats leaving the show going North up Indian Creek. It would have been like shooting fish in a barrel. When I got to Collins Ave and 83rd St to turn South traffic was backed up from the Show site which would have been about 40 blocks! :eek: So I turned North and figured I would head them off at the pass. On the way I stopped at the Dania Canal where several boat yards are located and found DragonFly! So as not to waste the trip I took a few shots. At 240' she is quite the long drink of water!

Attached Files:

20. discokachina

After The Boat Show

After I left Miami I stopped off at Dania Canal where I got a shot of a beautiful SanLorenzo 40 Alloy chilling out in one of Derecktor's sheds.

sanlor.JPG

Then it was on to camp out under the 17th Street Causeway Bridge in Fort Lauderdale to catch a few more Show Boats heading North. The first to come along was a beautiful new VanDutch Day Boat.

vandurch2.JPG

Next the most brilliant white sport fisherman with no name passed by.

sp.JPG
    sp2.JPG

Across the Intracoastal South of the bridge was the iconic Phoenix 2 with her figurehead glistening in the sun. Impossible to miss!

phonix.JPG