Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Comfort

The Patron & Yacht Fire's

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by sunnydaze, Apr 1, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Noticed that there has been yet another yacht fire at the Miami Beach Marina... The Patron. Is this coincidence with so many yachts burning at one Marina? Anyone know of a site with statistics or records?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would try the Miami Beach Fire Department for that one for a start.
  3. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I just put a call to one of Miami Beach's finest. As soon as he calls me back, I'll post how many fires there have been.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Would that be your Son or Son in Law?
  5. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Patron burned back in January. Did it burn again? Is it even still there?
    You can also check with the local Coast Guard District office.
  6. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

I doubt it burned again... I must have old news. I've read news on several fires at that marina over the years, but very few newsworthy at other marina's in the area. The FAA website shows all crashes whether while in the air or on the ground and wondering if there are similar records kept for the yachting industry. Thought it might be helpful research in buying a new yacht as far as avoiding a manufacturer or if it's just avoiding a marina or if it's just coincidence.
  7. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I do not know if it has anything to do with the fires, but every time I have been in the Miami Beach Marina, the shore power voltages where very low. Low voltage causes higher current draws and then I would pop the breakers continuously. I would go ask the dock attendants if there was anything they could do and then they would go on about how the owner will not spend money on up keep and how bad it all is.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The long and short answer to this is NO. I would also hazard to venture that the FAA might have no input or control of crashes of non US Manufactured equipment if the prang didn't happen on US Territory.
  9. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Is it the yacht owners or the marina owner's that wont' spend money on upkeep? Have been to many marina's out of US that I would bet it was the marina not spending the money more so than the yacht owner.

Also good point in K1W1 comment about the US flagged vessel records vs. non-US and no records. Maybe the Coast Guard has something on file. I'll check with them and post my findings. Any luck with your contact Jorge?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have also melted a shorepower cord at Miami Beach Marina, but don't remember what the voltage was. It does sound like there are A LOT of fires at that one marina......I know of 3 or 4. It seems awefully suspect. Low voltage can be from not large enough wiring and it could cause brownouts, low voltage and fires........
  11. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

How common it is to melt a shorepower cord? Are there inspections or regulations in place at marina's? Is it less of a risk to stay on the hook or a more risky situation with the lack of land and resources? Sorry for all the rookie questions, and thanks to all the many seasoned pro's on this site that we can learn from.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I would expect that the insurance industry would be a good place to look for that info. They keep stats on just about everything if you can find a way to them.
  13. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

While not official, it seems that there were two fires at Miami Beach Marina. There was no talks on the fire trucks about a recent boat catching fire there.
  14. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Last Years

Patron is resting hard, toasted and lonely at the end of the navigable river up by MIA. She (he) may see her (his) last sunshine there. It appears to be a "field of dreams" yard where none of the inhabitants will ever sip of the sea again.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I usually have about 1 boat a year that will melt the shorepower end. This usually happens if you draw too much voltage from a 50amp cord.

An 80' Lazzara caught fire at Miami Beach Marina a long while ago before Patron. I remember the story where the fire department had to cut the side of the boat open to save the people stuck in the staterooms.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

For someone who professes to do a lot of his own maintenance I sure hope that what you wrote there is a typo and not actually how you think electrical systems work.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Woooops, momentary lapse of reason. I meant to say if you draw too many amps for the shorepower cord, which many yachts are capable of doing if you run too many things.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A 50 amp cord should be able to pull 50 amp without burning up. The problem is when reckless crew/captains/owners don't follow proper procedure and cause damage over time which results in higher resistance
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well yes and no. a 50amp cord should be able to pull 50 amps AT 240 volts. Some marina's I've been to hover around 206 volts which puts more strain on the shorepower cord and your equipment ends up pulling more amperage than it would at 240 volts. I have seen a lot of yachts that can and sometimes do pull 60+ amps off of a 50amp cord when they're running the stove, washer/dryer etc....... in addition to the normal things. This will usually result in a burned cord
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Heard on the news this evening that a 57' M/Y burned down your way while beng transported. Engine room fire. Not much more said. Any detail down there?