Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

The Design Process...

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Dmitry Lebedev, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Dmitry Lebedev

Dmitry Lebedev New Member

Strong things can be created only in 3D :)
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Dmitry!

I think you have done some excellent computer designs. I will not argue on whether it is the programs or you who are behind the result, but I think you could have created the same in 2D.
    I wish I also could work like that, but I gave up 3D fifteen years ago, I found it too time consuming. But for presentations it has some benefits, especially for not so experienced clients. Jon Bannenberg used to build models of all his projects, with the help of an inhouse modelmaker. This is probably even better.
    GA:s I think works well in 2D and the 3D "walkthrough" programs are just commercial stunts in my eyes. You can never get the right idea of the final result by "walking around" on a 3D computer picture, why I think it is a waste of time and money.
    A good design can only be created by a good designer, hardly a computer program.
    Most good designs are still created on a piece of paper, some on napkins, and then translated into computers for renderings and files for manufacturing tools.

But we are all different, both the designers and the clients, why I think we should all go on the way we are comfortable with.

Good luck to you from an oldfashioned soul!
    /Lars
  3. Dmitry Lebedev

Dmitry Lebedev New Member

Hi!

The 3D sight at things has generated artists-titans during an epoch of the Renaissance :p
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

And.......?
  5. TRY

TRY Senior Member

I'll do the 3D conversion of Lars' 2D designs, no problem!
  6. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Hi Lars,

what for a computer program I need for those designs?

Best Regards

René
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hello René,

I am using Macromedia Freehand Studio, where you also have a 3D rendering program. But I am only using the regular drawing program for my yachts, it is the same as Illustrator or Canvas and some other programs working with vectorized postscript. It is as close to paper and pencil you can come and still have possibillities of making files that can be used in 3D programs which can later export files for processing.

You can also work in layers and it can be combined with Flash if you are doing such webpages.

I am working with Macintosh since 1986...

/Lars
  8. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Thank you, for the info! :) :) :)

René
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That explains EVERYTHING! Whenever I've met creative & talented people... they were using a Mac. ;)
  10. TRY

TRY Senior Member

an online concept

Lars has shown his way, he's a designer and a very good one!
    This is how I start a concept, I'm not a designer, see the difference?
    Challenge to our on-forum design gurus: turn these boxes into a yacht, online, in view of all.
    Interactivity is welcomed from the 1000+ members.
    Interesting experience, no?

Attached Files:

11. YachtForums

Lars,

In response to your question... "is the market ready for big powercats?"

I met with John Winter, the builder of the 86' Pacific Harmony Catamaran at the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show. Pacific Harmony has MANY outstanding performance characteristics, i.e., low fuel consumption, low wake signature, excellent stability at rest or underway, etc. Basically, all of the things we've come to know about catamarans.

He raised the same question during our meeting. Is the market ready for this type of vessel? Unfortunately, yachting is a somewhat traditional sport, but it's not immune to change. Witness the proliferation of catamaran based center console sportfish boats. A whole new segment of the industry has flourished.

While John has not yet sold the original Pacific Harmony, he remains confident there is a market for them, possibly on a smaller scale for now, therefore they are moving forward with the development of a 50-55 foot trawler with a catamaran hull. It makes good sense. The trawler market in this range is quite strong. But as we know, the full displacement hull presents certain limitations. The cat hull could very well permeate this market, IF... interior volume can match that of their monohull counterparts.

I've toured Pacific Harmony and watched video segments of its performance, which is impressive. It's very fast and requires very little horsepower. It does however, have one notable drawback... the engine rooms in each sponson leaves very limited room for maintenance or repair.

Pacific Harmony has certainly proven that a catamaran can be as aesthetically pleasing as any monohull counterpart (much like your design above!). I really think part of the problem has been the lack of attractive styling in previous (and current) catamaran launches or model lines.

With your design talent... you could turn a barge into a luxury yacht! :D But... can you overcome the limitations of interior space with the cat hull on a smaller scale?
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think that a possible solution is to use diesel-electric propulsion, where you can have four to six smaller diesel engines positioned for best weight distribution, which is also an important factor on cats. You already see these configurations in several giant superyachts recently launched and under construction, and with higher fuel prices even the mega-rich seems to reflect on consumption and speed demands.
    Something that gives the easy driven cats a future advantage.
  13. YachtForums

I agree... diesel-electric power may be a good choice for cats, given their ability to plane and sustain cruise speeds with less power. Good idea for multiple gen-sets and weight distribution as well!

But when I was referring to interior space, I was thinking about accomodations, not engine room space. The wavepiercer designs probably offer the most viable solutions to this problem, but they are more expensive to produce and have some quirks in certain water conditions as I am told.

A solution may be a true cat hull with a shallow tunnel, configured in a "V" form to offset wave impact (much like a wavepiercer). Still, this design would not offer the interior volume of its displacement counterpart, but with good space utilization, could approach a viable alternative.

Just some random thoughts... :)
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I agree with you on sailing cats, but big powercats have no lack of space as I understand it. The 50 m as above will have a beam of about 17 m / 55´.
    The inside space on the main deck will be 400 sqm and the deck above 260 sqm and the upper deck 144 sqm. The hulls will have liveable space of 80 sqm each (plus engine rooms) totalling 960 sqm indoor living space! (I guess you add a zero to have it as approximate squarefeet?)
    Add to this the extensive deck areas and I think a big power-cat is more than justified when it comes to available space. But you will have to pay extra for the beam in many ports... ;)
  15. YachtForums

Lars,

Just recieved a press release and it pertains our discussion. I don't want the "Design Process" thread to get off track, but this was relevant...

Solomon Technologies adds catamaran builder to client list

TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. – Another French catamaran manufacturer has joined Solomon Technologies, Inc.’s (SOLM) list of OEM builders now offering its electric propulsion system, the company reported in a recent statement.

Alliaura Marine, builder of Privilege Luxury cats, indicated it expects to begin production later this month of its first Solomon Technologies powered electric vessel, a Privilege 395, Solomon said.

Alliaura and the Catamaran Company plan to introduce the electric Privilege 395 at the Miami Strictly Sail Boat Show in February.
  16. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Lars,

Normal Cats and especially Power Cats have an awful behaviour in rough seas. There is an alternative called SWATH (Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull), an innovative hull concept for smooth service in rough seas. The cross section at sea level is minimized and thus only a minimum is exposed to the lifting forces of the waves. Go to Abeking & Rasmussen to explore more about the SWATH. There you can even see movies comparing the behaviour of monohulls and a SWATH

http://www.abeking.com

Regards

Bernd
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you for this input Bernd,

Actually it was the first thing that I addressed in this project, and TRY will engage experts in this field. Since we only aim at cruising speeds between 15 and 20 knots, I think SWATH or something similar I have in mind will do the trick.
    The loss in hull space is anyway well compensated by deck space... :)

/Lars
  18. TRY

TRY Senior Member

total energy plan

I fully agree to the diesel-electric technology where the propulsion and energy supply comes into discussion for my powercats, or for any other yacht for that matter.
    Some weeks ago I started a thread in the technical discussion chapter on this.
    Having looked at Solomon Technology's site, thy're OK but limited in power and therefore in size of yacht-application.
    I know of a number of US companies building jet-engined gensets. They're lighter (very important on a cat), smaller (also very usefull) and requiring much less maintenance than a diesel.
    I agree some problems have to be addressed, and that suitable electric motors have to be sourced.
  19. Tad

Tad New Member

In sticking with the TRY brief, at 30m, I submit the following.

I always start with a freehand pencil sketch to establish where we might be going. I will often submit 10-20 of these quick sketches to a client and see if any strike some interest. Often some will be judged terrible and some okay, then I'll try to combine features of the okay profiles. Then we start looking at arrangements, and end up re-doing the profile all over again. And so it goes.

Tad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  20. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Just for fun!

Hi Tad,

The online design game is just for fun, see how people react to the powercat idea.
    Nothing professional here.
    Sorry if my previous reactions were misleading!
    :eek: