Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

The Classic Craze Continues...

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Yacht News, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

We have seen many traditionally and classically designed yachts that have either been extensively refitted, rebuilt and restored. Some of these that may come to mind are vessels such as Savorona, Talitha G, Haida G, Atlantide and so on. These vessels are very old and to keep them as a piece of floating history they were refitted. This seems to be the trend that is continuing and without a doubt i raise my hat to those keeping these classic beauties afloat and running.

However, there has been a classic vessel that seems to have now emerged. I am not sure if we have been hearing much about this yacht. She was recently put on charter for this year at a whopping $560,000. The Vessel i am referring to is called Nero!

The Nero, is 90M long, about 295 feet and 39 feet wide. A cruise speed of 17 knots will assure timely arrivals at destinations. Built by Corsair Yachts in China and has a capacity to carry 12 guests in comfort and utmost lavishness and opulence. What i am not too sure about is if she is a newbuild or if she is a classic that has been refitted.

She has an array of Tenders including a 31 foot long custom cabbie tender, a 26 foot custom, as well as a 16 foot long RIB(Rigid Hull Inflatable). State Of the Art communications and Navigation equipment ensure safe and enjoyable passages.

The classic craze continues...
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

She is a new yacht and I think she is not yet launched. Construction is at the same shipyard as the new Dockwise vessel, so maybe somebody from there can post us an update?

Corsair was the name of some magnificent yachts built for J.P. Morgan in the 1920-30:s and they are the inspiration for this venture...
  3. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

12 guests in 295 feet? Each suite must be a floating villa!
  4. Yacht News

You know CaptEvan, that was the same thing i was telling myself. They must really be really huge!
  5. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a new-built classic such as this be able to drop a portion of her stern as a swim platform / tender dock, with a teak hatch and steps from the main deck? I've thought about that often for canoe stern refits. Keeps the classic look, adds the utility owners want.
  6. Yacht News

7. RichardLillard1

RichardLillard1 New Member

I've been waiting to see this one for a while now. She certainly is massive.

Does anyone have an idea where I can see some classic fantail yachts or classic inspired designs that are under 100'?
  8. Yacht News

9. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Wow!
    Very nice lines indeed.
    A question...do those masts serve any purpose other than mounting the satcoms?
  10. Yacht News

Probably not... more for the classic charm. What about Savorona, Hadia G, Talitha G. Those are yachts built in the early 20th century. Did theirs serve any purpose back then except to mount radar, steaming lights, and so on?
  11. CJB

CJB New Member

"Nero" dwarfed by the masses of commercial shipping

Wow..... "Nero" just cruised me in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

She is one of the only yachts in the harbour and at 90 meters long, she is still dwarfed by the masses of commercial shipping with the likes of Evergreen.

CJB
  12. Yacht News

13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

At first the masts were for sails, gradually smaller until they were not needed any longer. Radar was not available for yachts until after the WWII.

The Satcoms in the masts of Nero are really destroying the appearance and could have been in a lower position or in a false funnel if you ask me...
  14. First Pericles

First Pericles New Member

Sail carrying masts

In 1949, my family sailed to NZ to join my father in Wellington. The ship was the Tamaroa.

http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/tamaroa.htm

As a 6 year old boy, I would imagine sails on the masts. Can anyone see radar on the vessel? She was 47 years old then and was scrapped 8 years later.

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Images/tamaroa.JPG

Stick a schooner bow on her and there would be BIG Nero.:D

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/ShawSavill3.html#anchor348843

Completely off topic, here is a forum about some memories of SS Tamaroa and her sister ships.

http://www.thescousehouse.net/index.php?showtopic=3977

First Pericles
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  15. Yacht News

Lars, Talitha G carries one or two small Satcom domes in her forward funnel.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, and so did Haida G for some years until they removed the second funnel again. I guess Savarona has it and I know that Pacha III has it. It looks so much better if you hide them on a vintage yacht.
  17. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Yes, I agree.
    They look a little heavy and unbalanced way up there.
    Still, a nice looking yacht that's for sure.
    It seems like a M/Y cousin to Athena.
  18. bee

bee Member

Natalie

Does anyone remember this classic yacht which was berthed in Cannes for a number of years in the late 50´s and early 60´s ? She was beautiful, built in the 30´s and about 50 to 55 metres long.
    I also think she was built by Ailsa Shibuilding, Scotland.
    She also featured in a film starring ,I think, Claudia Cardinale and it showed her at anchor in Mallorca outside the March house in Cala Ratjada. The beauty of those two ladies was amazing !!!!

I wonder what has become of her ??

Regards

Bee
  19. bee

bee Member

Natalie ex Alice

Further to my last, for the sake of accuracy, she was built by Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson at their Wallsend yard in 1929/30 as the M/Y Alice.

She was or is 145 Feet.

regards

Bee
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This is a sailing yacht?