Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

The BMW Boat...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, May 19, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This post is to made to make wake...

I liked Bimmers in the 80's - bad rep and all - but when Chris Bangle was hired to design BMW's in the 2000s, I lost all affinity for the brand. The cars he designed were non-affectionately referred to as "Banglized”. He was subsequently tossed overboard and the design of the cars became more fluid.

This latest "glass house" design is reminiscent of a Banglized boat. I find it awkward, but worse... a glass house on foils is a stone's throw away from litigation. I'm sure this concept was created to generate buzz and I'm the sucker that just took the bait!

https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/news-the-icon-bmw-and-tyde-collaboration.37325/

Attached Files:

Liam likes this.
  2. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

My eyes hurt.
    I can't un-see that.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Would probably be great boats for shuttling people around big harbors like Hong Kong, Sydney and similar. Quick on quick off and a scenic ride with the big windows.:cool:
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

That is what it is envisioned for...
  5. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Contrary view -- I think it is really innovative and fun. A great platform for buzzing around Biscayne Bay, Newport, Tampa Bay and similar.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nice, glad they listened to me..:cool:
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No rub rail. I ll pass.

Seriously, how do you handle the lines on this thing but more important, how many BTUs or air con do you need in this greenhouse???

Is it bad looking? After seeing more and more UHV yachts on the water, I m getting used to that kind of eye sore. And that goes for new BMWs on land as well with the 2’ tall grills.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

BMW is currently leading the Nürburgring 24 Hours, with a total of 4 cars currently in the top 10....

So I'll forgive them for this egregious affront to my senses. o_O
    MM3 and YachtForums like this.
  9. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

It sure looks good and it looks futuristic, stable, comfortable and roomy in this video.
    Needless to say it is also a Good-Weather boat, otherwise those huge windows would be covered in salt immediately.
    The entire cabin top should be coated with solar cells for a bit more clean range however.

Yes, this BWM "thing" is pushing the envelope, but imagine what Horatio Nelson would say if he was shown a picture of a nuclear submarine?

"That there iron tub will never work, where is the sails and besides, it will sink to the bottom of the ocean sea":confused:
  11. JadePanama

JadePanama Member

Well we see how well that ended up. My boy Klaus and his Frikadelli team took overall in a Ferrari. Only 1 BMW in top 10 and typical AMG and Audi/ Porsche / Lambo owning the rest :)

Just giving a hard time. One of my first years not being there and the team I supported forever finally took it again. - RIP Sabine.
  12. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

i think interior very good and nice superyacht toys. and better than seabubbles
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    another one this year canes yacht festival show public.

seabublbles web https://www.seabubbles.com/
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

So glad to see that though... I'm a pretty buttoned-down guy, and even I got a little misty-eyed in the final minutes.
    JadePanama likes this.
  14. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I only have one question…. How many tens of thousands BTUs of air con does it have and how is that powered…
  16. BlueNomad

BlueNomad Member

BMW has made their i3 battery available for marine use for several years now. Chemistry is Li-NMC with capacity around ~40 kWh. I read that this vessel uses six of them (unconfirmed) which would result in approx 240 kWh total operating at 360 Vdc nominal.

Storage is likely to be under the deck and/or stacked in the main hull, as these units are very flat, maybe around 7" depth. Electric motors on the foils. I've no idea what HVAC they're using, didn't see any tbh ;)
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well it d better have AC considering all that glass.