Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Textile Design in Yachts

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by asheedy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. asheedy

asheedy New Member

I am currently studying the master of design course at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, Dundee, Scotland. I am researching the use of textile design within marine vessels. I am interested in the connection between visual perception and movement within boats. I believe the choice of colours and patterns selected in textiles is very important and can increase/decrease the symptoms of motion sickness as well as enhance the users experiences in other ways. Do people realise how important it is to make the right choices of colours and patterns when choosing textile designs for their yachts? Any comments please?
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Not a subject I have seen before. My own remedy for motion sickness is to go out on deck for air. But if stuck inside, then I suppose color and pattern would have an effect. Not so sure about texture.

Good topic,
    Kelly Cook
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Back in the late 60's there was a trend towards moire fabric designs in some light aircraft. All that I recall was that people were chucking their cookies more frequently. Intersecting fine lines that couldn't be focused on definitively at a distance of over one metre was part of the problem.
    I'd bet that there is some information somewhere in the aviation interior finishing industry. There is a company in Texas that does corporate aircraft interiors that might be able to help you out. I know that that they did the interior on a Boeing 737CJ. Boeing may be able to direct you to them.
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Just went looking through some old notes.
    Avoid large spaces that are monochromatic unless there is a clearly defined contrasting section either in texture or colour within 3 metres. People need to be able to focus easily upon something and have a visual reference point.