Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Teak sole and gunwale/covering boards new install

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Beau, Feb 23, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Could be on the wrong forum, dunno. My 98 post is all fiberglass and gelcoat in the cock pit. After years of liking it that way, my Egg Harbor roots are growing and I was think of a teak sole and covering boards to replace the white gelcoat. Pure aesthetics. First, what do you folks all think of that idea, and second what should I expect to fund as a top of the line refit? I can have the work completed here on the north shore of LI or in Moorehead City NC. - Jarret is in NC.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Didn't one of our brothers do this last (two, or three) years ago?
    Frak, I can't keep time anymore.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Give Jarret Bay a call, they can probably ball park it with you over the phone. They do very good work and close to where you're going to be.
  4. echo charlie

echo charlie Member

ConsiderWanchese NC , several boatyards there ,maybe a more competive price . Edward
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes I think it would look great. To much white on your boat, you need some contrast! Plus it would feel better on the feet along with great traction.
    . AND it will help with fishing when you drop something on the aft deck, a nice quite thud as opposed to a louder gelcoat boat transmitting ring/thud/tap...lol. Just what you don't need to announce to the fish ''I'm hear!''

I have nothing to offer on where to get it done though. But..

I think Viking may offer this work at their yard in NJ. Maybe big $$ there. As Capt J said call around. Send photos of your boat with dimensions. Anyone who knows what they are doing should be able to give you a pretty good quote over the phone/email.
  6. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Are any of the new synthetic teak flooring lines worth considering? Do they outperform teak in terms of maintenance, cost or durability? I recall seeing them installed on some decent quality boats at shows recently.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They outperform teak as far as Maintenance (little to none),and cost (less than half), but durability/life I'd say on average they last about half as long as a teak deck generally.
  8. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I'm sure the real thing and the synthetic are glued these days and that you're not going to put 1250 screw holes in the boat right?
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There are new teak kits that have real teak vainer on a tough ply-wood backing. All glued down with some screws around hatches and stress points.
    I hope the old 1250 screw jobs are history.
  10. alvareza

alvareza Member

We explored both synthetic and the real thing for the cockpit in our Ocean Yacht 46. The coaming is already teak. Estimates were $9k for synthetic in CT and $12k for real teak from Jersey Cape. We will likely do real teak in the future.

The synthetic definitely does not look real. Though the multi-color option looks ok to me.
  11. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Faux is faux and will look faux. That includes body parts. Nothing beats the real thing.

The last Faux teak decking that I saw that lasts for ever and looked ok was/is the decks on the old Chris Craft Commanders which was molded into the fiberglass/gel coat. but it was the same color of the boat....
  12. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

My previous boat had teak sole,cockpit coaming and toe boards and I always liked the way it looked but I never enjoyed all the time it took to keep it looking good. My current 93 Post is set up like yours with no natural wood exposed to the elements and I love it. We are in Florida with 12 months of sun and 12 months of use every year so I'm sure my maintenance was much more time consuming than yours will be in the northeast.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In that direction, We just have a teak cap rail around our side & aft deck.
    This is to way much teak.
    The lil teak trim on the fly-bridge table and hatches is just about to fall off. About time, only been waiting 16 years.
    I luv wood on other boats.
    Now that I have retired again, I'll be sealing and painting any topside wood left after this year.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I guess I'm forgetting the labor of my Egg. But sure did look good!
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It sure does look **** good.
    But it interferes with lots of other important things; Time, Money, Fun, Fishing and Fine Wine to start.

Did I ever tell anybody about my 1957, 28' Chris Craft Caviler with those big fat varnished toe rails all around and a varnish helm. Every 6 months I would start at the bow and work down one side into the helm. Clean up, use the boat and show her off a few times, 6 months later start at the bow and go down the other side & into the helm.
    I was so sad (glad) to let that boat go.

When We got our Bert, Josie promised she would keep the cap rail up.
    Yea, Rite.....
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or, if you have enough money. You just pay someone else to maintain it.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then that interferes into the fine wine, Beau does not drink MD or BF.
  18. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I still have a 28' Cavalier (1962) but it's tucked akay in a building as a reminder of how much work as wooden boat can be.
  19. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I don’t consider teak trim and cockpit deck etc. on a fiberglass boat real wood “ work” . It’s purely aesthetic’s and performs a nice function on a deck.

Do it Beau, keep it clean and natural.
    Don’t cover it with any oils or varnish etc.
    Then it’s not too bad to keep up the nice look.
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

They'd be walking surfaces, so no oil or varnish for sure.