Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Teak finish

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by John Sakovits, May 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

i have a number of teak handrails on the hardtop and trunk cabin. Do not want to varnish but what go to finish do you use?

Thanks!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do you want them to look like varnish? If so, awlwood by awlgrip.
  3. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

Was looking for something easy to remove, easy to maintain and a satin finish

Thanks
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I use Watco clear matte teak oil on my Chris Craft dory. Took a summer sun light beating well. Clean your teak well first , then brush it on with a chip brush. Let it soak in. Do not rub it in or off . Wait till it gets tacky dry and apply second coat. Let that dry 24 hrs. Then apply two more coats and you should like what you see. It gives the teak a nice uniform matte finish, with out filling the grain so you can still walk on it when it gets wet. In the fall I put on another coat to keep it up...no sanding between coats is need btw.. You can get it at most Home Improvement stores etc.
  5. Grrrowler

Grrrowler New Member

I tried Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil on some of my teak 2 years ago and it's still looking good today. Granted I'm in Seattle and don't get punishing lower latitude sun and heat but the finish is holding up well. I like that it's matte and very subtle and let's the teak look like teak.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I used to use amazon teak oil on my Egg covering boards. The more you apply the more difficult to remove. but a coat in the spring and then early fall usually allowed me to clean and reapply pretty easily. Remember any oil will attract dirt. I did my cockpit sole with a little bleach and soap mixed with water, never oil
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I used the Starbrite and the first time it looked very good. The second time it looked muddy. I will admit the Cetol Marine Natural Teak does look pretty good if you do 2 coats and then 3 coats of their clear over it to extend the life and fill in the grain.