Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Cross

Taylor made fender failure

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Jul 8, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

F2D89E88-A6B7-4801-A29D-BD7864871038.jpeg Has anyone had issues with the big 34” Taylor made fenders failing at the hoop?

I had two of them fail a couple of months ago, they were 5 years old but only used a few times and stored deflated out of the sun.

this one is brand new, failed after less than a week. I have another one which is still holding air but shows signs of stretching...

it seems that when the boat goes up or down with the tide, the fender can’t move if the boat is against the fender and the hoop stretches causing a leak.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, but return it. I've switched to the taylor lightweight superyacht fenders in those sizes.........Polyform I like better for the larger fenders due to the inflation port.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m returning both of them. I ordered to Polyform A6 34” from defender.

I like using these big balls since we re on a tee head. I hang them from the pilings so they rest against the concrete side of the pier. That way we don’t have to handle them everytime we leave the dock.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Thanks. I think they ll get shredded by the rub rail and don’t offer enough cushioning since we re on a tee head. Boat gets pinned on the pilings quite a bit
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Yeah, they are not very squishy. But they have held up surprising well. Of course, my boat is like half the size (or less) than your new monster.
  7. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

I've had Taylor Made and Polyform and there's no comparison--Polyform is way better. They hold air much better (inflation port as noted above) and are far more robust. I'd get a free replacement and sell it or keep as a spare, but not as a go to.