Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Abeking

T Bone

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Riknpat, Aug 2, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

The 92' steel fishing trawler Gabby G out of New Bedford MA managed to T Bone the 965' cruise ship Norwegian Pearl off Nantucket in the dead of night. Reason? Because of crew shortages the Gabby G was sailing on auto pilot without watch or lookout. Local media reports this as becoming 'all too common' in the post Covid world of labor shortage. No injuries. Fishing vessel suffered significant bow damage. Cruise ship sailed on. Passengers near the impact site reported hearing a loud thud and feeling a shudder. USCG is investigating. Thankfully they didn't hit a yacht.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It takes two to tango. And collide.

How the hell can two rAdar and AIS equipped vessels hit each other even at night and in fog! Apparently the cattle ship was hit on its port side so she was stand on but I find hard to believe that nobody on the bridge noticed the fishing vessel approaching on radar and AIS? No AIS alarm? Did they not sound horn signal in restricted VIs? Did not sound five blasts if they saw the fishing boat approach ?

I can’t wait to see in the NTSB report on this one in a year or two
    Riknpat likes this.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It's often tough to follow the COLREGS around New England fishermen, as there are so many of them and all running in circles. As such, they aren't following the rules and one must hope that they are aware of your position and course. I know this doesn't sound like a very professional response, but it's a near impossible situation when the other vessel isn't manned.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

True and the same applies to jet skis as well as sportfishes just off the NW channel light off chub. You can never know which way these guys are going next …

that said in doubt you sound 5 blasts. I wonder if the ship did.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Kept on trucking :cool::cool:
  6. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

Ken hits at the problem for yachtsmen. The actual incident was akin to a rhino being head butted by a goat. Mildly annoying for the rhino, bad for the goat.
    The average yachtsman on a night passage might assume that the local fishing fleet is operated by experienced professionals who follow the rules. Apparently this is not always so.
    For the average GRP yacht to be T=boned by 92 feet of steel would be a disaster. So one should exercise abundant caution, assume nothing and expect the worst.
    (Probably good advice in many situations.)
    T.T. and Capt Ralph like this.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Regardless of area or vessel type, whenever I encounter any traffic, as we get closer I keep a close eye on any light and radar-AIS. Cant ASS-ume anything.
  8. Rerm

Rerm New Member

So the goat hit a cattle ship???!!!!LOL!!!! Sorry but this was a hilariously descriptive thread!!!!!!!!