Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Superyacht Attessa IV collides with Sportsfishing Party Boat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by d_meister, Oct 27, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Superyacht Attessa IV and a 48 passenger sportfishing vessel collide close to Mexican border near San Diego last night.
    News coverage HERE and HERE, and HERE
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

One person seriously injured, as far as I have heard Attesssa’s bow into the mid-section of the sportfishing charteboat Prowler, hoping the injured person pulls through.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Information on Prowler. Prowler Sportfishing operates out of Seaforth Landing. It's under new ownership in 2018. It had a 9:00 PM departure on the 26th for a 1.5 day trip targeting bluefin tuna. It had just returned from an overnight trip originating at 10:00 PM on the 25th which had 22 Anglers and caught 28 California Yellowtail, 67 Skipjack Tuna, and 6 Yellowtail Tuna. Andrew Viola was the new captain and owner with Markus Medak and Drew Card.

Attessa, well known as Dennis Washington's transformation, completed in his yard in Vancouver.
  4. olderboater

5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Wasn't there another mishap with Attessa a few years ago? I seem to recall a helicopter incident?
  6. olderboater

2013, Helicopter flipped over on it's deck during bad weather.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

8. MBY

MBY Senior Member

The passenger that was airlifted unfortunately didn’t make it. Very sad day for the local San Diego long range fleet and for the Prowler. That boat was very well regarded in the fleet.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am sorry for the injuries and now a death.

Prowler was T boned on her Starboard side.
    New Captain? Passenger homicide now involved?
    I'm thinking the NTSB will be involved and some people from both boats may be starting new careers.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Tragic, sorry to hear that, just a guy going on a bluefin tuna fishing trip and doesn’t come home, prayers to his family.

Prowler traveling north back to port, Attessa leaving the San Diego area heading south.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is the most sad part. Big smiles everywhere, Another fun trip then tragedy.

Yes prayers for his (and all) families.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's amazing how incidents like this can happen. High tech navy ships from around the world still have these same problems.
    It comes closer to home and heart when it involves boats that we are more familiar with.

Another sad reminder to all of us out there; Ship Happens.
    Always be on your toes, don't assume anything.
  13. olderboater

Accidents happen on the roads and water every day for a plethora of reasons. When they result in death or serious injury, then they are always tragically sad.

I try to always keep in mind that it could be me. We all think we're good drivers and good Captains, but we all make mistakes. Fortunately, most are minor or nothing results because others are looking out for us. Regardless of the cause or who is deemed at fault or whether both are, the lives of many people have been changed forever. As a boater, the worst thing I can imagine is being involved in a fatal accident. Not something you ever get completely beyond.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

During the mid 80s / mid 90s, I was a volunteer diver for the JFD (Now JFRD) and JPD (NOW JSO) near my then home on the Trout River / St Johns River.
    I have pulled up enough.
    30+ years later, I'm still not over or beyond any of it.
    Senseless losses and it still happens.

This may be one of the reasons I type Hard Asp comments when loss of life happens on the water. I would prefer more criminal charges and jail times.
    At least, there should be laws convicting stupid people. On the water and road ways.
  15. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

16. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

A photo of Prowler:

• [​IMG]
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are the rear lifting straps breaking her back ? Maybe lifting to fast full of water? Or the collision broke her back.
    I went back to the pic of Attessa IV and the page has been removed. Would of liked to see more of her stb bow and hull stb hull side.
  18. RER

RER Senior Member

image.jpg
  19. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Indeed a tragedy, but we need a lot more facts before we start criminalizing the incident. All we know at this point is that a bigger boat collided with a smaller boat. We have no idea what either of them were doing at the time of the incident. Just me....
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The fact that the starboard side of the fishing charter boat was hit ia a good place to start. While both vessels must avoid a collision, it s not a good sign for the captain of Attessa

Regardless of whether prowler was under way or drifting, how can it not be seen on radar or FLIR?

Here in Miami we have a serious problems with small boats running or drift fishing with missing lights. I never run over 10 kts at night always have FLIR and Radar up on a pair of. 20” dimmed monitor. I ve often spotted echos on radar that turned out to be small boats with missing lights that were barely visibile until under 1/4 mile out. Even with all electronics dimmed and pilothouse lights off

How can someone not spot a large charter fishing boat?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.