Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

Suggestions Please....

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ghoniba, May 3, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ghoniba

ghoniba New Member

Hi Everyone:

I feel quite out of my element here as I am not even close to being a millionaire, but this appears to the place to be!

I guess I'll never know unless I ask. I am looking to get a used boat, basically for sport fishing and family outtings. I really like the style of this type boat (yacht):

http://www.albemarleboats.com/

I am not sure what this style of boat is called.

I realize these boats can be upwards of $250,000.00.

I have about to $20,000 to $30,000 (Canadian!) to spend on something like this and I just wondered if any of you can recommend some reputable boats names I might look for? Am I realistic in thinking I can get a boat of this style that will fit into my budget and be a decent boat? I have checked some of the local boats for sale and I don't know enough to make an informed decision. I have seen boats that look good and are of this style in this price range so I know they are out there. I would use the services of a surveyor. What is a good range for the year of the boat?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. captnprop

captnprop New Member

I have a very nice 31 Tiara for sale! It is listed in the yachts for sale section for $61000us.
  3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Figure 30% down payment on a boat loan, plus $500-$1000 for a survey.
  4. ghoniba

ghoniba New Member

Hi Gang:

Thank you both for the replies. Unfortunately the boat you mention, while I'm sure it is nice is a little out of my league for now. We'll see how well my book does!

I have seen some boats that appeal to me in my local Buy and Sell. The boats manufacturers are Trojan, Bertram and Chris Craft, are these good names? They are older....1970's and 1980's. Is this too old for a boat? If they check out well with a surveyor. Would you think these are good brands? Are there other names I might want to consider?

The boat would be used for light recreation and for use in fresh water (Lake Ontario) Not ready to sail the seven seas just yet!

Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn