Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Student design in Solidworks

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by jake doney, Apr 30, 2010.

1. jake doney

jake doney New Member

new user design student boat design in solidworks

hey would of put this in the design part but not allowed. anyway this is a video of a boat me and a friend designed in our product design uni course, from not knowing about the ins and outs of boats i think the end product looks amazing. so please watch and comment on it please.

jake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcItJVxnfqQ&feature=related
  2. jhartog

jhartog New Member

I don't know if the folding "shell" boat is a particularly good idea but I think the dockability of the smaller craft into the shell boat is very cool.
  3. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Jake,

As a piece of design, I'm sure your tutors will like it, from a practicality purpose I'm afraid I see flaws.

The Princess cruisers you featured on your presentation are really quite small, larger craft may have a tender/limousine and a RIB and Jet Skis.

The smaller powered vessel may have James Bond cool, but if you consider a Jet Ski/Personal Water Craft can usually carry 2-3 persons, the driver has good all round visibility and can tow a water toy/skier. The way you have your craft rendered the pilot will not see very much.

Despite your assertion that RIBs do not fit with the yacht image, they are very practical, the inflated portion gives a huge reserve of bouyancy, acts to a certain extent as a fender and the rigid portion of the hull planes nicely. They make superb sea boats. With your 2 craft joined together I cannot see how you will prevent the 2 outside pods folding in or flexing when riding waves, nor do they look as though they are designed to plane. I can't see it working very well as a work boat for washing down the hull or for diving from.

Jet Ski engines are notoriously temperamental and as a general rule smaller ones do not reverse, a reversing bucket would be required. Jet boats can also be difficult to manoeuver and when beaching or running in shallow sea suck sand and gravel into the jet; an outboard or outdrive can be tilted upwards. Outboards are easier to work on and can be exchanged more easily.

Sorry to sound negative, but you did ask for opinions. Others may blow my misgivings out of the water. Good Luck.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Have you actually built one of these and tried it in the real world?

Is you colleague listed on the site any relation to the famous Renato Sonny Levi by any chance?
  5. yes, a prototype could bring some answers...
    I was curious in what marina you both were analysing the others... Seems some like in UK in south mainly? Can you confirm?
  6. 84far

84far Senior Member

Great concept, but in the real world I can see many hazards. At the end of the day it's too out of the box. I would look at the inflatable more and try and redesign that. Maybe you and your friend could use/borrow an inflatable for the weekend and see what could be modified to make it a better boat... But your up against a lot of pros. Cheers

Far
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The idea is not bad, perhaps not as a tender but otherwise. In reality though, several attempts to sell similar concepts seems to have failed. Even one of the big PWC manufacturers had one on the program, but I can not find it today.

I found this one though: http://www.jetmate.com

Attached Files:

8. Davidw2k

Davidw2k New Member

Perhaps this design brings about the best of both worlds, inflatable and the jet-ski combined:
    http://www.gizmag.com/go/6995/picture/32434/.

One of the problems that I see wrong with this design,however, is that the waverunner actually sits on top of one of the sides (inside the boat).
  9. jake doney

jake doney New Member

it was at the barbican in plymouth, devon. i do understand that it probably wouldnt work it was more what it does, and that video came from 4 weeks of work and we also made a cnc blue foam model.
    thankyou for the ideas to take it further. i think we just saw that we had to design a concept idea and from not know much about boats we could see the floor being ribs are ugly on nice clean cut super yachts. but for hitting points in a breif i think we did well. thanks. :) jake