Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko

Straight-line winds of 11 Apr

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Seasmaster, Apr 30, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

While I had my "mini-crisis" for an hour at Faber Cove while dragging anchor in Force 11 winds, this guy had it much worse. . . The article is from the AMO Union rag [where I was a member for 22 years].

The crew of the GB must have been VERY LUCKY. Good job USCG & Sunshine State!

Sunshine State aids stranded boaters, helps coordinate rescue operation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On Monday, April 12, while in the ballast leg of a routine voyage from Charleston, South Carolina to Corpus Christi, Texas, Third Officer Joseph Mainella alerted the Master of the good ship M/V Sunshine State to a stranded boater franticly waving a red jacket at the vessel indicating that the drifting vessel was in distress.

The officers and crew of the Sunshine State, owned by APT and operated by Crowley Petroleum Services, took immediate action to assist the stranded vessel. The Master commenced emergency maneuvers, which included slowing the engines and performing multiple round turns to calm the wind waves and seas around the stranded vessel. In the meantime, the vessel's bridge team commenced emergency communications with USCG Sector Miami, alerting them to the vessel's position and the condition of the two souls onboard. The Sunshine State stayed on location directing units of the USCG, local Sheriff's Department from St. Lucie County, as well as coordinating search-and-rescue operations with U.S. Navy Airborne unit 898.

Once the large Coast Guard Cutter Isaac Mayo (WPC 1112) arrived on scene, the Sunshine Stateremained windward of the stricken vessel to provide a lee for small boat boarding operations. Once aboard, the USCG found two people, both in need of medical attention. The Sunshine State was informed by the Isaac Mayo boarding team that they had been adrift for several days after their 42-foot Grand Banks style cabin cruiser had her super structure ripped from the main deck during the height a violent storm off the coast of Fort Pierce.

The Isaac Mayo - Miami Patrol took the two survivors aboard and expedited their return to port for further medical attention. The drifting hull of the yacht La Sabia was then taken under tow to the nearest Florida port. USCG Lt. Cmdr. Nick Zieser, commanding officer of the CGC Isaac Mayo, then released the Sunshine State with many thanks, stating: "Thank you for discovering and reporting this case - fair winds and a safe rest of your voyage."

After returning to our original track line, the Sunshine State encountered the main cabin and pilot house of La Sabia floating upside down with a capsized aluminum row boat lashed to the superstructure amongst other wreckage. The Sunshine State investigated the wreckage to ensure there were no other persons involved in the incident who were unaccounted for. The hazard to marine navigation was reported to USCG Sector Miami, which then transmitted a continuous marine navigation warning to all the vessels in the immediate area.

Captain A.J. Weis
    Master, M/V Sunshine State
    JWY likes this.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Jeez, some storm..:eek:
    Would love more details on the accident, old wooden Grand Banks with rotted structure? Or what?
  3. bschulman

bschulman New Member

Hey, almost a year later we were cruising around in the dinghy and came across this boat at a pretty interesting marina in Ft. Pierce, and I had to know what had happened to get it into that condition. Behold the power of the internet. Doesn't look like any GB I have seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  4. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Did you try to post a couple of images of the GB? If so, all I can see is what's shown above.
  5. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

maybe with only 1 post the uploading images is not functional yet?
  6. bschulman

bschulman New Member

I think that the article was wrong. This seems to be the boat they were referencing. Doesn't have the shape I know a GB to have. The name matches, the top superstructure is missing / destroyed and it is just north of the Ft. Pierce inlet.

Did you mean the boat looks wrong or you can't see the pics? I see them in your reply.
  7. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I can't see the pics. I see "IMG" where I assume the pics are. I've used Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge browsers with the same results. I can see Seamaster's pic in post #1. Does anyone have the same problem that I am having?
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Yes
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I see the pictures fine
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What pictures, I just see;

[​IMG]
    alvareza and SeaLion like this.
  11. bschulman

bschulman New Member

Interesting, now I don't see any pictures not even in your replies, as I did before.

Obviously a site issue. Perhaps because the post is old it expired the pics? No idea. I have been a member here for a while but this was my first post.

I created a google album of my pics from the marina, it is called Riverside Marina and it is practically a graveyard. There is a wood boat around 50' that is rotting in place, with plants growing out of the side of it. Yet it somehow floats.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLdXic67qWfHaKkE8
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

It appears the pics have been removed. They are not on the server. Here's one of the pics from your Google acct...

Attached Files:

13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Sits tall like an old, rotted Marine Trader. I know that yard well. Yeah, it's a graveyard alright...but one of the last mohicans.
  14. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

I am pretty certain that is a Marine Trader 50 Motor Yacht hull. I had a 1984 in the 1990’s. The bow pulpit was teak and came back to twin Sampson posts like in this picture and the overall shape of the hull is the same. Beautiful boat especially below decks but I was always a little concerned about some of the construction of the deckhouse with the big aft sun deck above. But I did enjoy running her for almost 10 years on the Great Lakes.
  15. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Floyd Ayers designed most of the Marine Traders for Don Miller, the founder of Marine Trader who was a used-car salesman before building boats. I ran a test for Boating Magazine on one of their first boats -- the Eagle 40 Trawler. Typical "leaky teaky" Taiwan product but with very soft chines that made it roll. The Marine Trader 44 sedan was a nice looking trawler-type boat and the 50 discussed in this thread was a popular boat.