Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Straight Drives Vs. V Drives

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Fletcher500, Aug 10, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

I have posted several questions over the last week regarding different types of boats that we are thinking about, and I appreciate the feedback. (Scratch the Marlow). Our current boat is currently for sale, and I am doing my due diligence to narrow down a few things.

Another boat I am seriously considering is the 2006-2008, Sea Ray Sedan Bridge, LOA = 45', with QSC500's.

I realize this is not a hard core offshore boat, has limited fuel, but for what we do and some periodic longer trips it checks many of the boxes, including the Admiral's on the interior. A few boats ago, we had a 39' Sea Ray Gasser, and it was a champ, so I have always liked the brand, although I realize on a site like this it is on the lower end compared to what folks have.

The reason I am looking at this vintage boat is the cost, which we can afford, and I would prefer to go with the straight drives with the engine placement farther forward in regards to stability, more room to work down there, and also mechanically I feel it is a long term proven set up.

There is also a newer Sea Ray Bridge, 2009-2012 that has a nicer salon and layout, which we could also stretch to afford. However, it has V drives which I am reluctant to go with.

So my question from a basic mechanical standpoint; are others also finding from their boating experience that a straight shaft boat is a more bulletproof configuration than a V drive?

Boat use: cruising around the bay a lot, heading offshore a few times per year including the islands for 200-300 mile round trip, trolling for fish a couple times per year, but nothing hardcore these days.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Today's V drives a solid.
    Some whine and sing a little.
    They do eat some horsepower.

If the boat of your dreams, good maintenance records, oil test comeback well and surveys well; Then I would not be afraid of a V drive.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

As long as they are accessable without hiring a contortionist
  4. revluc

revluc Member

Our boat in the north was a 44' with gas V-drives for a long time and lots of other river/lake boats, mostly Sea-Ray were all set up that way. I don't ever recall a V-Drive being a mechanical issue or one that caused them to be unpopular.

The 90' American Custom sport fish and just floated Jarrett-Bay 90' both use V-drives. Granted those aren't Sea-Rays by a any reach, but mechanical use of the design still seems acceptable at all price points.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember a Sleray with 3126 and V drives. Case was leaking. Took two hard workers days to pull the darn thing.
    Moral; don't run aground and twist the clutch case.
  6. revluc

revluc Member

Not running aground is good advice for any driveline regardless of engine room access...
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Riva uses a few V-Drives, just certain models. To the owner, there are two significant changes that distinguish those models from the ones with straight drives. First, they do not have garages. Second, the crew area is nicer and is located just aft of mid boat, adjacent to the owner's cabin. Some boats adapt better to one or the other and it's a matter of getting the weight distribution right. I personally don't have a preference, although I've never owned a boat with a V-Drive.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

But when you do run aground (AND if you say you have not your fibbing), major service to the V drive just got even more serious and expensive, if needed. Remember, a part of the V drive can be UNDER the engine.
  9. revluc

revluc Member

Never said I haven't run aground and wish I won't in the future but would not bet big money on it!

If we all lived in fear of grounding that hard we never leave the dock. ;)

I am in support of your first response to the OP.
  10. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

Thanks for the feedback.

If we go the Sea Ray route, it will be 45 to 50 ft. With either the QSC500 or 600's. I won't shy away from the V drive option.

Unfortunately every boat I have called on either have no past maint records, or very little. But the Brokers write ups all say the boat "was just waxed and ready for the new owner". What a joke.

Still debating the trawler route, and ordering a new Helmsman 43 because we can afford one of these new, and avoiding past abuse by the owner of a used boat is a major positive.

I have no experience on a trawler, or single engine handling, so that will be a major adjustment. Going 8 knots will also take some getting used to because SoCal destinations are often runs of 100 miles or more.

I am going to go out with a another trawler owner in a few weeks to get a feel for how she handles the ocean, and the whole experience in general.

Either way, we would like to make a decision in the next couple months.
  11. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I don't think a broker is going to have maintenance records all complied and hand over to someone who is just looking. These usually ar pulled together once a deposit has been made. Trust me I've annoyed many a broker with too many questions! Once you get serious the amount of data you can get comes flying.
  12. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

I realize that, but if you call the Broker about a specific boat and say, "has the owner done the full maint per the Cummins/Cat or whatever manual", they will often say "yes- I believe he has". A little more digging, and its often an annual oil change if you are lucky. IE, most folks are not doing it. I am looking at boats with the Cummins engines and the after cooler on the QSC500's is a bit of weak point for these engines. These be serviced every 2 to 3 years. It is not happening, and I am not going to buy a boat that looks great everywhere else if the PM's were not spot on. I'll suck it up and buy new if needed.
  13. btyson

btyson Member

Hi Fletcher500,
    did you ever decide on one? (and why)
  14. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

hopefully he used the $$$ to buy a small place in the country......now all he has to worry about is the bugs eating his tomato plants this spring..