Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Burger

Steering problem

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Zvi Ozer, Oct 27, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Zvi Ozer

Zvi Ozer New Member

i recently bought a 53 Ferretti and i have A problem with the steering: i have to turn the wheel all the way to the stop to get some reaction, on the fly bridge it’s worst than downstairs. When on autopilot it works fine .
    Help please.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You didnt say what kind of steering system you have. If hynautic, make sure the reservoir has enough fluid and is pressurized to about 20/25 psi.

Low fluid and or pressure will affect the higher helm first
  3. Zvi Ozer

Zvi Ozer New Member

Thanks, i’ll check, i don’t know but I know it’s the original Ferretti put in it.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was any problems reported on your purchase survey? Any hydrolic leaks observed? Any comments in the ships records of any rudder control service?
    I'm assuming it is a used boat boat past factory warranty.
    Pascal is rite on if it is a Hynautic system. Other Euro systems are not pressurized and just have a re-fill port around the top most helm to replenish fluid.

To be of any more help, We really need to know the mfg of the system. With out that data, we may be just guessing.
  5. Zvi Ozer

Zvi Ozer New Member

We didn’t see any leak and the boat’s skipper says it has been like that for years but ...that’s not the way a boat should steer. I’M on a trip right now but next week I’ll go and check it deeply
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember a delivery that had a new to me steering helm. There was a knob just under the wheel that changed the steering ratio.
    Many turns to move the rudder, then adjust the knob, then a few turns but harder to move the rudder.
    I'm straining my brain but I think it was a Capilano Helm.

This is just an idea. Without knowing the mfg, We are still guessing.

Hopefully some notes are in your purchase survey.
    Question 1 from post #4; A purchase survey was done?
    If so, I would question the surveyor. If he dos not know, (IMO) he did not do his job.
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I've had both Capilano dual helms , which I installed my self on my last boat and Hynautic on my current boat. Sounds like you have air in the lines. Air rises to the top helm over time that's why it's worse on the bridge helm.
    Look for a Mfg's ID label model and look up the manual on the internet. You will need that to solve your problems.

Capilano helms , you have to start at you lower station and start the bleeding process there, It's been awhile since I had mine ,but you have to loosen/open a plug and turn the helm to port to stop and then back to starboard to stop , a few times to work out the bubbles , then check the fluid and get it to the fill mark per the instructions. Then work you way up to the bridge and do the same thing, per the instructions.
    I'm sure it's kind of the same for Hynautic or any hydraulic helm.