Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Starting out as an Eng need help, have exp

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by canadianEng, May 27, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. canadianEng

canadianEng New Member

Hello

I'm a 23 year old Canadian seafarer, I'm trying to get my foot in the door for a career in yachting.

I have STCW certifications in; Basic survival, Advanced fire fighting, advanced rescue craft, and First aid/CPR.

I'm attending a Marine training centre covering required material to exempt Transport Canada exams up to Chief Engineering excluding orals and EK motor.

I have Experience working on a Petro-Chemical tanker as an Engineer Cadet for 4 months and on a Great Lake self unloading carrier for 1 month as a Engine Room Rating.

Once I receive my Transport Canada 4th class Engineering ticket, What will I be required to do in order to receive my Y4 ticket?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Why don't you contact the UK MCA and ask them?
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Why do you want a Y4? This is like having an airline transport pilot's license and wanting to get a sport pilot license.

You can obtain an endorsement from almost every flag state represented in the yacht industry that recognizes your engineering license subject to any limitations it carries. You do not have to waste time an money pursuing a much lower qualification that is useless outside the yachting industry.

If you want something from the UK, apply for a UK MCA CeC, a "certificate of equivalent competency" based on your current license and limitations.