Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Furuno

¨Starter¨Yachts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by garseea, Apr 10, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. garseea

garseea New Member

Hey Everyone,

I´ve never posted on the site before, but have been checking in daily and reading all of the threads for the last couple months now. I´m pretty young, and don´t have the income or capital to invest in a mid-sized yacht (and won`t for some time). I am, however, interested in boats around the 30´size range. Does anyone have favorites in this range for a cabin cruiser ¨starter¨ yacht?? I´ve liked chaparral and bayliners. I´d just like some practical information about this size range.

Thanks very much.
    Sean
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Sean, and welcome onboard!

Since I was in your age I have liked the Bertrams. The classic 25, especially in the Riva built versions will never go out of fashion. Some are however in need of not only cosmetic refits but begin to soften in the fibreglass as well. But how many other GRP boats of that age, up to 40 years now, are afloat today?

Next step is the Bertram 28, Moppie as open, or Flybridge with enclosed salon.

My all time favorite Bertram is the 33 Sportfisherman, this is the 33´ with a lower hardtop. She should have diesels to be reasonable to run, but then they are of course more expensive to buy...

With prices around the hundred you can still find very nice boats and you can keep it for many years and at least get the purchase price back.

Attached Files:

3. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Here is one of my favourite boats in this size. But I think that is not for what are you looking for. I think the boat is too expensive, when you are so young. But I post it! Maybe an idea for you. The Moderator AMG (Lars Modin) can tell you more about this boat. In the internet are some websites where you can search for boats. I don't post links, because posting rules etc.

In this Forums is a forum where people sell her boats. Do you have took a look at this? Maybe you can find there your dream boat.

By the way, here is a link to more pictures about this boat.

Good luck! :)

René

P.S.: Lars, I hope it's okay, If I use the photo.

Attached Files:

• D32.jpg
      D32.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

This one will be more of that for what are you looking for: Apollo Cabin Cruiser

Length: 25 ft.

Horsepower: 225

Year: around 1979

Attached Files:

5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes René, it is OK to use the photo and thank you for posting it!

I agree that this boat is a little on the expensive side as the model is pretty new. With the latest Volvo Penta diesel D6 on 350 hp, she cruises almost 40 knots with a top speed of 46. But the price is rather USD 200.000 (incl 25% VAT)...

Here you can see the interior;

/Lars

Attached Files:

6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here are another two classic cabin cruisers, not so often found in the USA, but there you have Chris Crafts and Trojan in about the same size.

The first here is a Coronet 27, built in Denmark and the second is a Fjord 32 built in Norway. I have first hand experience of both and have had a number of Coronets, all from the early seventies. Sometimes you can find them around your area as well, always worth a look if you like a "modern vintage"!

Attached Files:

7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Sean,

In the 30 foot range, I would take a close look at the Sea Ray Sundancer line. Specifically, the 330/340 series, which offers ALL of the amenities of their larger siblings, in a compact version featuring the same quality and workmanship to be found on any Sea Ray.

Because this is Sea Ray's most popular size boat, there's a large pre-owned market, which means you're sure to find a buyer willing to sell for less than expected. And when you get ready to sell it... there's a strong market of buyers looking for these particular boats.

Good luck!
  8. garseea

garseea New Member

I really liked the Sea Ray Sundancer Line... Are there any other comparable lines that I can also look at with similar amenities, size, and price range to the Sea Ray´s in the 20s?

Thanks!

Sean