Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Start up smoke on MTU 12V183TE93

Discussion in 'Engines' started by danigold, May 12, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. danigold

danigold New Member

My 1999 68 Ferretti was surveyed by an experienced surveyor from Greece this past weekend.

Yacht is powered by twin MTU 12V183TE93 Electronic 1150 HP engines. Both motors have 960 hours on them and they ran better than ever. Both engines maintain good pressure and temperatures and all vitals are within factory specs. Never seen black smoke at any rpm and load level. Full pre-season maintenance was done few weeks prior to this survey by MTU and sea trials were made for diagnostics. MTU said the engines were in excellent shape and nothing needed to be done.

On the survey she was found to be in very good condition after 8 hours of in depth observation. After the survey, we had a short discussion with the surveyor about the engine operating hours and their respective maintenance and overhaul requirements by MTU. He claimed that an MTU engine had to be overhauled, if the engines had 9-10 years of “pleasure” use on them. This meant that a 300 hour engine had to be re-built if the engines were manufactured in 1999.

I have a feeling that this might have affected the surveyors view on overhauls:
    When we started the motors on a 16 degrees Celsius (60 F) Istanbul morning, we experienced a good amount of white start-up smoke and questions were raised about the condition of the engines. In warm summer days when the sea temp is above 75F the start-up smoke is very little, but always present. Smoke stops immediately after the engines reach their operating temps. Factory authorized MTU techs guarantee that little bit of white smoke is normal at start-up on these 12V18393TE engines on cold days, surveyor thinks the opposite.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have run several boats with 12v183's. They ALL smoke on startup and this is in sunny Florida. 320 hours on 1999 engines can be very bad as well, not enough use. If the motors don't reach temperature every 2 weeks (the more often the better), condensation can form and cause things in the engines to rust such as valves, rings, and other parts. However if they run good and MTU says they run good, how does some bogus surveyor know more then the dealer. Is he MTU certified? Has he ever been a diesel mechanic? Anyways, years have no bearing on whether or not an engine needs to be rebuilt. It basically comes down to hours and usage (high load applications etc.). 12v183's were designed to go 5,000-10,000 hours or more. They were designed origionally as German tank engines and built like tanks..... However they do have their faults such as smoke at startup, if they throw a belt they will fry the motors before the sensor slows the engine down, and the 1st marine series dropped valves. But that being said are considered good motors.
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

danigold: Welcome to YF, BTW.

Not sure if your 'E' motors came equipped with block heaters and/or do they work? That would explain a lot of the white smoke on start-up on a chilly morning.
    I concur with Capt J on giving these MTU's a 'thumbs up'.

From my own recent experiences with a set of 1994 183-series engines, I would have the main heat Xers boiled out: if this has not been done recently, they'll quickly go into overheat if you 'put it in the corner'.
  4. danigold

danigold New Member

Thanks Capt J and Loren. Boat originally came with block heaters and they were pulled couple years after by the original owner. Yacht also spent time in Bahamas and maybe they did not need the heaters over there. I agree with you on the dependability of these motors.
    I guess its hard to argue with surveyors since they are obligated to question everything...
    I faxed them the MTU computer readings and charts that show useful data on engines condition.
  5. Captain Dee

Captain Dee New Member

Capt J do you have any idea what it cost to overhaul the MTU183's?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A major overhaul? Engine access is going to play a key role there. But to do a major, rebuild the turbo's, injectors, injector pump, clean all the exchangers etc. I would say figure 60k a motor.
  7. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

Block heaters, no matter where or what climate, to keep the engines (always) warm, will help. It is / was a must with Deutz TBD 604 and 620 engines and perhaps your MTUs. Not only for start up smoke but all of the o-ring seals the Germans use. Let em get too cool and they leak coolant. The Deutz engines I had / have experience with were never let below 150 regardless of time of year (in NJ).

Another cause of white start up smoke might be due to the engines never seeing enough load and improperly sealing piston rings. A common issue with 2 stroke Detroits that smoke white when started cold and idling but clear up as soon as the engine is put in gear.
  8. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Startup Smokey...

This is quite normal for diesels even when they are fairly warm. And, all diesels smoke on cold starts.

The clue would be is "hot start" after running the engines where they have fully been at coolant and oil normal operating temperature for awhile. That will tell more the tale.

Now as the boat and engines are very low hour and numerous years old. This can (doesn't have to be) indication the engines may be in need of general overhaul. It depends on the usage it and they have seen.

The worst is setting for long periods without attention... cold startups... hard short runs... before fully warmed up which can actually take some time. Even 300 hour engines can be ruined by this.

The best is careful routine maintenance... running for long periods within specs of engine... warming up carefully... short periods between use.

300 hrs engines can be junk... and 15,000 hrs engines can be is top form.

Here is an engine run on the French Riviera in the former state... with no real attention by the owner... ended up blown...

But the owner did get it overalled by one of the best CAT services on the Riviera or in France... K1W1 has even high marks for these service guys.. I have posted here in before but here is the stories in videos...
    Notice the rust on the connecting rods from disuse... an indicator...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/21427-cat-engine-rebuilt.html
    Direct link... CAT C18 Rebuilding ~ Réfection moteur CAT C18 - YouTube

Notice the rust on the connecting rods from disuse shown in the video... an indicator...

Now here is the tale from the inside. Note the borescope tells how the engine was used look at cylinder walls etc... this shows lack of service attention... low use... and then hard use...
    Engine ended up with a cracked piston because "someone" used it improperly...
    And this is the same problems you have to look for... before you go out and break down after buying the boat... !

Marine engine inside - YouTube

Here is another different engine processor to the C18 shown in the other... Reman - The new age - YouTube
  9. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

PS... I posted the last post here thought the original thread is very old as more educational forum so the next guy looking here has some I hope good reference advice.
  10. pcinteriors

pcinteriors New Member

Mtu 12v183

We have a pair on M/Y Plumduff and they work really well. Yes they do smoke at startup, but once they reach temp no problem. No oil leaks at all!
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Karo. Before telling us how the Conrads got surface rust on them by disuse read up a C 18 service manual. They give the charge air coolers a finite life for a reason.

Like other Cat Family engines they have been known to leak and the only place the pressurised water goes when engine is running is into the cylinders via the inlet valves.

The Charge Aur Cooler drains are open at atmospheric pressure and closed when engine runs. I have developed a habit of poking them open with a tie wrap when running at least once a day just to satisfy my own curiosity and hopefully detect a weep before the whole lot goes leg up or out ( broken rod)
  12. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

K1W1...
    See I thought the rusting.. which I have seen on more engines than just C18's was marine environment air condensing moisture on the internals of the engine when the engine set unused for long periods while the boat was in the marina. I thought this was possible if not common on little used boats or laid up for long storage or periods of non operation... including my own experience.

Certainly... if the charge coolers leak badly or have gross leakage while the engine is in operation it would cause big problems. Or, if they leak slightly then it might be like a water injection system... but not cause catastrophic failure.
    I had not considered they could on weep or leak under non operations periods and cause problems. I suppose if the engine was not used the charge coolers could still develop leaks... though I thought the issue was fatigue related from operation.

But what I am trying to say is for boats in general that are not crewed and / or in routine regular use but intermittent with long periods of disuse... the corrosion problem:

I have an beautiful little gem in the family that it pristinely maintained but that hardly ever gets used. On the rare occasion of use I am ALWAYS hounded with people wanting to own it... offers to buy... or delighting to look it over... its one of those kind of rare gems. It has an old fashioned pre chamber Mercedes engine but it has so little use it almost new (that might be an oxymoron) that this is a problem. You can keep the brightwork and paint and interior etc up. Keep the wood from drying out and opening seams is solved with a timed mister setup.

But the problem is the mechanicals. If it is in the cradle stored all covered up in basically a cave... I can protect the body of it. If left in the slip then I got more problems to make sure don't grow and develop... but in season you have too. But the mechanicals are a problem... you cannot just start up the engine and run it every week easily... particularly stored ashore. You are still in a damp environment by in large. Have tried everything but now just use a really good rust preventive oils heavily sprayed in the injector holes and into the crankcase vents every few months... when someone has time or remembers it. I cannot get rid of it for sentimental reasons. But it must be kept immaculate because of that reason too. Not only the surface corrosion issues but things like oils in engines and gear boxes... a friend recommends just filling everything with oil... cylinders... crankcases... gear boxes etc. Its also issues like batteries... have replaced so so many (even with charge tenders) I cannot count. But the problem is very very seldom the family wants to go out in it... and does not want to wait for it to be un-mummified! At certain times it is a really pain and rush to get all up and ready. I cannot plan around this if it is a good day for both sailing and old impatient people having the desire... and feeling up to it... its got to be ready.

I think to a more or less extent many have these problems with their toys too.
  13. Maggi Soffa

Maggi Soffa New Member

Where can I find a english manual for MTU 12V183TE93 ?