Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

St Johns River, FL

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by BrianR5525, Jan 15, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BrianR5525

BrianR5525 New Member

Greetings all,

Just wondering thoughts on exploring the St Johns River FL with a 6' draft. Charts look like we'd be ok until Sanford? rcrapps, your Bertram must draw close to that. Thanks for any input.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Crab pots will be way more an issue than draft.
    Just follow the charts. Update your plotter charts if you can. Some range markers have been removed.
    South of Palatka keep your wake down as it gets twisting and narrow. Lil fishing boats are everywhere. Lots you will not see till your on them.
    The cold has not kept them off the river yet.

North of the Buffalo Bluff rail bridge, south of Palatka, marker 23, make sure you find it early. Lots of big boats don't see it and keep on cruising straight till crunch.
    That rail bridge is not attended. It closes 10 to 15 minutes before a train comes. and opens a few minutes later.
    Your on camera, they see you, just sit back and wait if it is down.

DO NOT try to poke into the old cross FL canal entrance to anchor.

If there is any great wind for a couple of days from the south, it may get shallow at the south end of Lake George before and in the channel fenders.

Away from the city lights, the stars are amazing.

Bring your bird guide.
    BrianR5525 likes this.
  3. BrianR5525

BrianR5525 New Member

Thanks Captain Ralph. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Should make Jacksonville tonight.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

BrianR5525, You have a beautiful boat. Enjoy the trip. Parts of the St. Johns is like traveling up the Amazon. Jungle like and beautiful. I've only run it in a bass boat out of the DeLand area fishing over the years. There are some spring fed creeks off the main river you can go up in your tender with and check out. The water is clear as can be the scenery is awesome.
    Not sure if you are into fishing, but the river offers some excellent fresh water Bass fishing ,which also could be done from the tender. Just need a pole, 20/30 lb. test line, bobber , hook and a few golden shiners and let it swim around some pads or floating vegetation and see what happens...
    Do be carful of the 70mph or more Bass boats whizzing around on the river. Especially on river and creek bends, they can come up quick on you with out care.
  5. dewald

dewald Member

If you fish in Florida, you have to have a Florida Fishing license. :)
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fresh and salt water.
    Revenuers will take your money on line and issue a paper receipt/license.
    If your like me, fresh water fish have no taste and not worth the effort.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This morning I hear the Florida Air National Guard playing 2 on 2 over head. F-15s make a lot of noise turning, diving, climbing.
    We also host A-10s, I think down from Valdosta.

Lake George has hosted military air training since the confederates started using balloons.
    There is still ordnance on the bottom of the lake.

The lake and the Ocala National Park offer great air space for these air groups to train and consume plenty of JP.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So, where you at?
    Keep us up on your adventures.
  9. BrianR5525

BrianR5525 New Member

Thanks Captain Ralph, Cleanslate and Dewald. Elderly parent concerns have redirected our travels. We are traveling towards our Savannah dock now and returning home for a few weeks. We only got as far as Jacksonville Landing. Terrific docks there, lighted bridges and night sights of the big city. We will return.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sorry to hear of the issues and understand well.

I used to live near Thunderbolt.
    My partner was on Wilmington Island.
    We would finish our week at Palmer's.
    During the 80, the Army Engineers used to (try) dye the river green for StPattys.
    What a party.
    I miss Savannah sometimes.

The ole Ortega River Boat Yard (ORBY) was purchased and the landings and first condo tower was built.
    The condos were vacant for many years.
    They never built the second tower.
    Lived on the old and new docks for years.
    They kept changing owners, rent kept going up. Then we moved to Huckins.
    Finally retired and moved up river.

If you made it over that mud delta approaching Ortega river, You will not have any issues down these ways.
    Grand Avenue / Ortega River bridge was in the record books at one time; The most opened bridge in the world.
    Not sure of its status these days.

I'm just in from listening to the orchestra of Barred Owls singing thru the night.

On your idle time, Can you fill us on your cruising around Chatham? You run out side or in the ditch?
    A little on your ship? Good looker in that lil avatar picture.
    Where ya been?

After 11 years on YF, you have been a quiet church mouse.
    Some of us,, not so quiet..:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  11. BrianR5525

BrianR5525 New Member

Yes, unusual to have all 4 parents still with us at our age. We too like Savannah. Climate is much milder than our home town near Toronto. We keep the boat on Wilmington Island and enjoy the laid back island feel. Prior to this boat our travels have been primarily Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Georgian Bay and the loop in 2015-2017 on a Chris Craft Constellation and a Chien Hwa trawler. Just getting to know this new boat and have been running the ditch timing tides at the usual spots. Looking forward to stretching it's long legs.
    Yes, 11 years on YF. Feeling guilty it's been a bit one sided. What a wealth of knowledge here. It was your recommendation of Bill Gladding that helped us through our purchase of this latest boat.
    Thanks all.
    Capt Ralph and cleanslate like this.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our families have passed these last two years. Not many of my or Josie's clan left.
    I do understand taking care and concerns of our parents.

So, in the idle times of hurry up and wait, fill us in on your boat and trips. Many of YF members are from your ole hood.
    Open new threads when you can.

Gladding does great work. Glad that worked out.

Stay safe and well our friend
    Ralph & Josie