Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Westport

Sprayfoam or Specialty Coatings for Interiors

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ohana, Dec 6, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ohana

Ohana New Member

Wanted to find out if anyone has any experience using spray foam for temperature and sound abatement in engine rooms and hull walls, especially on aluminum hulls. Have also been looking at Mascoat products that claim to reduce sound and especially temperatures in these areas, but with one part spray coatings at only about 80mils. Any one ever use either? or both?

Mahalo
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Spray foam

My 50 ft steel displacement river boat is completely spray foamed on the inside of the hull above the waterline (about 2.5 inches thick). The painted inside of the hull was cleaned to be fat free and then sprayed between the frames and under the coach roof and deck.

The excess foam was cut with an electrical heated wire absolutely plane with the frames. The whole area covered with foam, was then covered with aluminum foil (vapor barrier). Wooden laths about 2 inch wide and 1 inch thick were srewed onto the T-frames and the complete interior mounted on this laths. By this method, free circulation of air is possible behind the interior. In combination with double glased windows, the boat is insulated to its optimum and I never had any problems with humidity in the boat.

The only problem with this method, you can only apply it to smaller boats. Commercial vessels and classed yachts are not allowed to be insulated with foam because foam is not fire retardend according to Class. For bigger boats you need to use mineral rock wool with vapor barrier.

Because I have no plans to have an open fire in my boat, I am very happy with this type of thermal insulation :D.