Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Westport

Spray Rails

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by kapoc, Mar 2, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kapoc

kapoc New Member

Quick question does anyone have spray rails on their post I have been running a few sportfishes with them and am thinking that my primary charterboat (1983 43' post) would greatly benifit from it as well as perhaps change my over all visability and perhaps improver performance a little bit.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

The 42 and 43 before the hull change -I don't know exactly what year that was- were supposedly very wet boats. From the few owners that I have spoken with over the years who have installed spray rails, they do cut down on the overspray. Personally though, they give the Post's bow a very "heavy" look. Maybe someone else has had personal experience, and can give you better insight than I.
  3. kapoc

kapoc New Member

Not too sure what you mean a heavy look but if it will increase the viz by decreasing the over spray or drenching lol i'm game.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Karpov
    As I've said I don't hae first hand experience, but have spoken woth others h
    Who say they help. There is a manufacturer out there that makes sprays from a hard rubber and they are applied with an aviation glue. Might want to checkout the net. By heavy I mean appearance wise it just interferes with that clean sheer bow area
  5. kapoc

kapoc New Member

I looked them up and saw the ones that you are talking about the avg is 550 for a a pair of 9ft for the bow but seems like it is worth it even more now that they have upgraded the glue. The look doesnt quite concern me as it would be great while navigating inlets like hatteras and Oregon Inlet. But thank you for your feed back and quick responses.

Mike
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Kapoc

If you do install rails, let us here know how they perform, thanks
  7. shawn

shawn New Member

Rails

I installed the rails on my 77 42. One 9 ft section at the chine and I ran the rail from the chine to the aft end of the boat. It made a big difference knocking the spray down. I stopped alot of the following seas zigzag as well.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Shawn,

do you have any pics?
  9. shawn

shawn New Member

Rails

I will be working on the boat this weekend. I will take some shots and put them up.
  10. shawn

shawn New Member

pictures

Attached Files:

11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Keep in mind that with new spray rails, you will need to be careful on the boats next lift out and all future lifts.

Advise that you make up some blocks that keep the slings off the spray rails. Keep them on the boat and explain to the marina staff how they need to install them while setting the slings, then you will avoid repairing the rails.

I had a bad experience at Sailfish Marina in Stuart when surveying my Hatteras. They badly damaged the rails in spite of being warned about them. Then damaged them again when returning the boat to the water!

Couple of timber blocks, connected by rubber, that protrude further than the rails will do the trick.
    Cheers.
  12. shawn

shawn New Member

I had made lifting blocks when I installed the rails. I slide them down the slings and push under the rail and lift the straps. Works great!!!

We lifted the boat without the blocks the first time to see if the glue would pop and it did not. I would recommend these to anyone with the older 42,43,46 Posts it made a difference.
  13. kapoc

kapoc New Member

Can you take a pic out away so i can see it from the side profile... I think i do see what is going to be in our future. Who did you use to supply the rails
  14. shawn

shawn New Member

Spray rail

This is the best I have until I take the cover off on another month.

Attached Files:

15. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

how much did it cost you?

what was the difference in performance?

in your opinion, is it work the time, espense, and troble?
  16. shawn

shawn New Member

I did not pickup speed with them,which the company was suprized. I had the prop guy out in the boat he said you have done all you can do speed wise. I cruise at 24kt on the pins 29-30kt I did lift the boat higher out of the water. I have seen the before and after pictures. It cost @$1,200.00 to do the whole boat. It was a bit of work to do, you have to grind the botton paint of to the glass so the glue will hold on. They made a difference with the following seas. In a head sea it knocks some of the spray down. If you run in 4 to 5 footers you are still going to take alot of water over the bridge. My wife noticed a beter ride coming back from Block in 3 to 4. My fishing crew fish on a 46 Post a lot and they love the ride of my much better. My main purpuse was to get a better ride in a following sea, which it did!
    If I went to buy another older Post I would put them on again.

Attached Files:

17. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Shawn, that's one great looking Post you have!