Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Sporty Yacht designs

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Steve in SoCal, May 6, 2007.

1. Steve in SoCal

Steve in SoCal Member

To further my quest to discover the IDEAL boat:cool: Submitted for your pleasure, what floats your boat in sporty style boats from sleek Euro jobs to downeast lobster boats. I spent quite some time pouring over the picnic boat thread. This one is a bit more open, in the 50 -80' class a few feet either way is OK, Alden to Warren what is going to be a timeless classic. The Mulder and Vitters retro look is timeless as are the fine Lobster boats but will a Sunseeker look so 1990s in a few years. Sport fishing and trawlers are out because the are more form and function. With these few basic rules what will look as good in twenty years as it did the day slid down the ways, it can be a production, semi custom or, one off design.

Steve
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Well, for the modern category I'm impressed with the look of Uniesse's Sport designs.

Kelly Cook
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you divide this question in three, it is pretty certain that a retro styled boat will look good in twenty years, if you like it to look retro even then...:)

With modern designs, it is more difficult to predict what will survive. As with cars, many are designed to follow fashion and will fade in appeal quite fast.

You can also have a modern design ahead of the trends, such as Wally. But this is the love or hate it kind of designs, and will remain as such I think.

To create a design that feels as modern today as in twenty years, you probably need to look both back and ahead, not follow fashion.