Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Spongy helm deck on 2003 bertram 45

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Shadrow, Nov 6, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Shadrow

Shadrow New Member

I just bought a 2003 bertram 45 and the deck underneath the two helm chairs on the flybridge is soft and spongy. Any ideas?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Your surveyor should know..?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, it's a typical Bertram thing and the helm chairs weren't bedded properly. The coring, typically balsa is shot in that section. The proper way to fix it would be to cut out the rotton coring till you get to good coring, replace with new coring and fiberglass it and paint it. Probably about $2k a job for that area.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's real bad news. My guess is that when the pedistals were screwed in they didn't bother to caulk. Now water has gotten in and rotted to coring. No choice. You have to cut out the decking, replace the coring and re-glass or you'll find yourself on the floor one day.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was there any comment on this from the surveyor?

Our 1978 has wood and alloy plate. Not sure when (if) they put balsa up there.
    Wood or balsa, if it's soft, it a problem.
    I'm assuming there is headliner under this deck. Could be an idea to cut out from below.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not a huge deal, although by 2003 you d think bertram would have learned how to handle core! No wonder they r out of business

Spongy decks is pretty common on balsa cord decks, take it from an old hatteras owner. Wait, let me rephrase... Take it from the owner of an old hatteras. :)

It's an easy fix... Tao with a hammer to see how far the rotten core extends then as others mentioned you need to cut out the upper skin, replace the rottn core and glass the skin. The critical thing is to use epoxy where the pedestal bolts go thru. You can't rely on sealant like bertram did. You need to seal the core around the pedestal so any water can get to the core.

When replacing core, don't use balsa use Divinycell. It s closed cell foam core which can't rot and can a word water. More $$ than balsa but worth it

Th sooner you do it the better as with time the rot will expand

I have a number of soft spots on my old hatt, including a section of the brow above the windshield because some $100 an hour professional installer &$€]%}~>] used lag bolts to install the radar with about 2 tea spoon worth of sealant
  7. Shadrow

Shadrow New Member

We cut out the spongy area. No balsa, just foam that had come delaminated. we will use a new foam board for the repair and then glass over it. Not as big a mess as I first thought. Thanks for everyone one's advice.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sounds great. I'd recommend Awlgripping (painting) that entire deck up there, it doesn't take too much more time to prep the rest of it and then it will all match perfectly and clean easier.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread has been moved to the Bertram forum for better indexing.