Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

spare shaft removal 55' SS

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Pio Casadey, May 25, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pio Casadey

Pio Casadey New Member

Hey anyone out there know how to remove or move the spare shaft that is sitting on top of the fuel tank on my 1987 55' SS?. I need to move it to get some type of access to the fuel return fittings - I have a previous thread about access to fuel fittings here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There should be a blockoff plate on the outside of the boat at the back of the house usually, it may look like a fuel fill fitting......and the shaft should slide right out of the back .
  3. Pio Casadey

Pio Casadey New Member

I do not remember seeing anything like that on the stern? is it above the water line? I need to move the shaft away from the fuel fitting area about 4' forward can that be done?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's either a plate or fuel fill type fitting. It's either on the transom near the gunnel, or could be at the back of the house under the gunnel. Follow where the shaft would hit the back of the boat. While anything is possible and maybe 3 guys muscled the shaft through the engine room door, over the engine, and on top of the fuel tank, but I highly doubt it.
  5. Pio Casadey

Pio Casadey New Member

I will check on that this weekend when I am down by the boat. Thanks for the reply, if you or others have any other ideas on how to move this thing out of the way so I can get to the return fuel fitting on the aft of the tank it would be most welcome!
  6. Pio Casadey

Pio Casadey New Member

Well I looked and found a hole aligned with where the shaft sits on the aft of the engine compartment. It seems like it would go through there but the tackle box has to be removed and it should pull through. Thanks to you Capt J for your input.