Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

Someone is stealing our banners!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Aug 24, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Over the past few weeks, I've been getting spammed by a company promoting marine banner exchanges. I finally visited their website and found some very familiar looking banners.

Here's the link...

http://www.maritimecentral.com/index.php

There's really no harm done here, however I checked with Hatteras, Burger and Westport. I'm informed that YachtForums is the only website they have authorized advertising for on the internet.

What really bothers me is... I've spent more than a few long nights creating banners for some of our manufacturers.

Uurrrggghhhh !! :mad:
  2. YachtForums

I just want add one thing here...

The YachtForums member list has always been disabled. This is to protect YOUR privacy. Your e-mail addresses are stashed away in the depths of our server and will never become public domain.

The only thing you will recieve is news updates or private messages. You can also choose to disable this feature in your User CP.

Death to spam!
  3. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

How frustrating....

..., internet parasites.
    Make'em pay, I say!
    Not that I'm recommending the installation of dangerous viruses inside of photos.... :cool:
  4. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Is Internet intellectual property (e.g., website layout and content) not protected in any way? It seems that if you create something and someone else uses it, you're entitiled to compensation.

If not, then I guess you have to take comfort in the fact that plagiarism is the highest form of flattery...
  5. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

protect your banners.

You can embed a code into your banners by altering certain pixels to specific values that spell out a signature. I can help you out with that if you want.
  6. YachtForums

Want? NEED!! :D Can I contact you on this? :)
  7. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

You sure can. I'll be glad to help :)
  8. YachtForums

Just saw this press release from Boating Industry International. Not directly related to banner theft, but thought I would pass it along...

NMMA takes on counterfeiting

Boating Industry

Thursday August 26, 2004

CHICAGO – The National Marine Manufacturers Association is asking its members to share their stories concerning counterfeit products, NMMA said in a recent release.

The NMMA’s Government Relations team would like to use the stories to persuade Congress and federal agencies to crack down against counterfeiting, which it called “a prevalent problem in the marine industry.”

Dave Blackburn, president and CEO of Faria, has been working to alert the industry and federal officials about his experience with counterfeit Faria products, and the NMMA said the industry should follow his lead.

“Your involvement is critical to our efforts,” the NMMA stated. “Please share your experience with Cindy Squires (202) 737-9866; csquires@nmma.org.”