Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

small Sail Boats

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by digitalvibes, Sep 24, 2004.

1. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

Here are some pics of our small sailboat. It's a 42 foot Endeavour located in a canal across Pier 66.

Looking down from the top of the mast:

[​IMG]

Looking east:

[​IMG]

Dinghy racing down the canal!

[​IMG]
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hey DigiVibes!

Looks like you're within walking distance to SouthPort Raw Bar. Is that the 15th street canal? That was suppose to be a destination this weekend on the run-about, but it looks like we'll be battening down the hatches for the 4th hurricane in as many weeks!

BTW, those pictures from the top of the mast... give me vertigo!!! :D
  3. Antonio Torres

Antonio Torres Member

Magia

Magia was my second boat, a long time ago (Sirius 27'). I had very good times sailing with my family.

Attached Files:

4. Antonio Torres

Antonio Torres Member

Laser

A small Laser can be a very fun boat.

Attached Files:

5. Antonio Torres

Antonio Torres Member

Velamar 38'

My old Velamar 38'

Attached Files:

6. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

Hey Carl!

We are in the canal to the north of 15th Street, within walking distance to the Southport Raw Bar (where we were last night for dinner).

Knock on the transom next time you take the runabout down this way!
  7. YachtForums

We'll do, DigiVibes! Look forward...

By the way, are you going to the Columbus Day Regatta?
  8. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

Hurricane permitting, we most probably will. We're leaving for the Bahamas tomorrow for the week but this season has really sucked so we won't mind a quick turnaround down to Elliot Key.

Are you?
  9. YachtForums

On the subject of small sail boats, I recently met the crew of "SIS-W", while they were "racing" in the marina where their 127' Burger is docked. These R/C sailboats are called "ONO's", for One Design Only. I was surprised how quickly these little yachts moved along with a light breeze.

Attached Files:

10. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

Hey! I said small sail boats, not micro-miniature boats! ;)
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Did you know that many captains and crew on the worlds biggest superyachts, have RC sailing boats and arrange regattas in the ports where they meet? :)
  12. YachtForums

And some of them fly r/c helicopters from the bow of their boats! ;) :D
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In most european ports you are not allowed to use helicopters from yachts, I guess that include radio controlled as well. When Stavros Niarchos was still alive he despite that used to fly in and land his twin engine Agusta on Atlantis II when moored in the port of Monaco. There were pretty high fines, but he probably thought he could afford them...
    Otherwise yachts has to go out and even Lady Moura is one of the yachts that sometimes leave the Monaco port for half an hour to pick up the helicopter outside the pier.
    I mention two yachts of over 100 m in length, where you would think it was pretty safe to land, but here it is safety/security first. Is it the same in US?
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Did you also know that many captains and crew on the worlds biggest superyachts have faaar too many things to be frivolous with? LOL Ah, I can imagine such a life... :D
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, it is a pretty nice occupation, but remember you are on duty almost 24/24...
    Today there has been some yachts hiring two captains as in the merchant navy, to work a couple of months each or how they like to share it.

If you have been on a more recent superyacht, you know there are computers giving alarms for almost everything, both safety and security issues, there are so many things running even when you stay in port that you have to be available most of the time.

So, sitting on the bow on your yacht sailing a RC boat is maybe frivolous, but you are still there and more or less on duty. :)
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I suppose looking at it that way depends what you're used to. My father and I run a small family business, so essentially we're always "on duty". If anything goes wrong, it's him or I that has to deal with it. The alarm goes off in the middle of the night, we flip a coin to see who gets up, gets dressed, and drives to the office to reset the invariably false alarm. LOL We never just "punch out" and go home at the end of the day.
  17. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Here is my favourite little sailboat. It's good to transport on the streets (weight and beam). The Jongert 25. I wish I had the chance to sail a race on this cool thing.

Attached Files:

18. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

Where can I find information about the Jongert 25? I went to Jongert's website but they only listed thier big boats, any ideas of availbilty? cost?
    Thanks!
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am not sure if there are many built. Herb Dahm had the pictured one and there might be one or two more. Good sailer though!

Another boat coming up that I would love to have is the Luca Brenta designed Brenta 30, a smaller version of the Brenta 38. http://www.brenta38.com/
  20. KCook

KCook Senior Member