Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights

Single Racor 900 large enough for Man 1100 common rails?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Capt J, Sep 17, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A sunseeker I run has 1100 MAN Common Rails and has no primary fuel filters whatsoever. They are relying on the 2 MAN filters to filter the fuel, they're expensive and a PITA to change. There is very little room to mount Racor's and while I would prefer single Racor 1000's for the added filter media, there isn't much room to mount them anywhere. Would single Racor 900's be large enough/flow enough for MAN 1100 common rails?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Check not the fuel burn, but the total fuel flow thru the engine. Hit the Parker and engine mfg's web sites for specs. I would still encourage finding a place (anywhere) to mount the larger dual filter setup.
    Servicing filters should not be done in a hurry, bad weather, narrow channel, after a few rums. Flipping a dual filter lever to the redundant filter any mate could (should) be able to do in the dark.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Installing dual Racor's on a 62' Predator is not an option, unless you want to mount them 20'+ away from the fuel tank and engines. There is NO room to mount racors in this boat, I'm going to have to really come up with brackets and such just to mount the single racors.
  4. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

How about mounting Fleetguards rather than Racors, much smaller foot print
  5. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

On a 62 Predator with V10-1100 CRM's you should have a MAN in-line filter with a PL 420 spin on canister. One per engine. :cool:
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

20 to 25 feet away? Is that a big deal?
  7. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Yacht Jocky has it right.
    I am surprised MAN approved the installation without the "Hummel" Preline filters between the RACORs and the engine mounted secondary filters. We repowered with 1100 CRM's and we have the dual racors then the Hummel filters, our MAN rep told us we had to have the Hummel filters in the Common Rail application.

I