Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Single Pole dinghy hoist for 53MY/58YF

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by ddesilva, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ddesilva

ddesilva New Member

Greetings,

was hoping to get some suggestions from those who have done it - looking to buy an off the shelf single pole electric host (non telescoping) for my 53MY. I have seen it done in photos - but was hoping other owners could make a suggestion on what they have found fits well?

Here's one I've been looking at:
    http://www.katomarine.com/powerdavits-standpipe.htm

Thanks,
    Darren
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran a 58 YF that had one. It had been on the boat for years and worked well, you just had to make sure you secured the pole from swinging for sea. I think it was made by marquipt and it also had a support/pole that went from the aft deck floor to the aft deck ceiling. It was also simple as it only had a winch motor and a cable.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That s your basic davit found on many if not most older hatts. Not as pretty as the modern ones but they work well. I use mine to launch either a 13' heavy hard tender or my 12' cat boat. No issues

They indeed have a standpipe coming down to the main deck so picking the best location is critical go accommodate the tender and not to Be in the way on the aft deck

Mine is on starboard side just inside the wing door. Best location.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Exactly the same location as on the one I ran.
  5. ddesilva

ddesilva New Member

Pascal, Capt J,

that's what I'm aiming for due to budget. I'm 28 and this 53MY is quite an undertaking for me to restore budget wise!

You wouldn't happen to know the make of the units you have? And any chance for some pics on exactly where you mounted the pipe on the lower deck? Never installed one of these before so curios to see how others have done so...

Darren

ps- one more thing - is it ok to screw the base plate into lower deck? There's no access to bolt it through unless I hear up master stateroom headliner...
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Mine is mounted almost against the aft bulkhead near the corner (between the window and the corner wing door)

The stand pipe appears to be screwed in the deck with a starboard spacer since the deck is not level

Make sure the boom is long enough to reach the attachment points on the tender and keep in mind that the exact location will vary depending on the tender center of gravity. Due to the weight of the outboard, the center on gravity will be closer to the transom than the bow so typically the boom doesn't have to reach all the way to centerline as long as the tender is stored with the outboard on the side of the crane

I have seen a number of boats where the crane was installed in ways where the standpipe is in the way or where you are limited to the kind of tender you can lift

Finally, when installing the crane and standpipe base make sure you seal the balsa core with epoxy prior to installing the screws or bolts otherwise water will get past the sealant and into the core

btw, being able to store the tender on teh top deck is a big plus on these boats as it is out of the way compared to having it on the swimplatform like on so many new smallish boats. launching and retrieving is quick and easy.

it's an easy installation that you should be able to do yourself and save a lot of $$...

as to chocks to hold the tender, here is what i did. it's about $100 worth of starboard... i've done two sets, one for the jet ski on the 70 footer i run, and one for the cat boat on my on boat. a lot cheaper than the custom made alum. chocks from Marquipt or other suppliers...

Attached Files: