Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Silverton vs. Meridian

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by JRILL, Jan 9, 2010.

1. JRILL

JRILL New Member

Hello folks. I am looking for some thoughts from those of you who have have compared the following boats. The Silverton 38 sport bridge as compared to the Meridian 341 or 381. We have been shopping boats for about a year and a half and have change my mind several times. We are looking for something in the $150,000 to $200,000 range for extended summer use. I see alot of Great Lakes cruising with access from connecting river systems and down to the Land between the Lake region in TN and KY.
    I suppose in a few years we may consider a trip to the Bahamas with a close eye on the weather. Maybe some Inter Coaster use, etc., but who knows.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    And before anyone asks, my experience thus far is limited to many years on small boats so I appreciate the fact that I have allot to learn and plan on hiring a captain for training.
  2. captainzim

captainzim New Member

Hi Jrill
    I'm a captain out of the Kenosha harbor and have trained many new owners like yourself. I would wait until Spring and take each boat out for a test ride. Each have there plus and minuses. I personally have a Silverton 2005 34c and love the boat. They are built pretty good not the best but hold there own. If you are going to do the long range cruising at slow speeds for most of the trip I would look for one with diesel engines. Also watch as they may close the channel in Chicago and trips south would not be possible. I could help with any questions and would like to talk to you. You should get my email address from this reply please contact me.
    Captainzim
  3. enproep

enproep New Member

Hello, I know you posted this some time ago, but just wondering if you bought either boat. We are in the EXACT situation right now, looking at either a 38 Silverton SB or Meridian 38 or 41 SB. Any insight you have would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  4. JRILL

JRILL New Member

Plans Delayed

Hi there enpreop,

We have not bought yet nor decided which boat. Family stuff pushed off our plans a bit. We had thought we would be into a boat this summer, but are now looking at late 2012 or early 2013. Still torn between the 341 and 38SB. I also had a chance to look at a Cruisers 4450 and really liked it because of the three stateroom layout and open bridge. We started thinking maybe aft cabins like the 4450 or the Carver 396. We are trying to figure out how often we will have the grandkids on board and if we should buy a boat with the extra room or just focus on our needs with just the two of us on board.
    That is of course one reason we liked the 341 and the 38, for the second guest room. Keeping that in mind , we like the electric fold out couch on the Silverton, and I suppose if I was buying today, it would be the silverton......but I don't know.......
    Too many boats to choose from.

Sorry I can't offer any more help.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sea trial these boats. Don't just look at the space. Go into a chop and take some waves on the quarter. That's where you'll find out if a boat is really for you. The most beautiful staterooms in the world won't mean a thing if the boat scares you if you hit nasty stuff.
  6. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

Especially if he is serious about trying the Bahamas.The Gulfstream with any real wind out of the northern quadrants can be a very nasty and lonely place to be.Trust me you will want the best boat you could have bought when that happens.
  7. JRILL

JRILL New Member

True

While I completely agree with NY and 42, Since you will spend most of your time on either the bridge or below in the salon, or stateroom, if you are not happy with those layouts you will not like nor use the boat anyway.
    There is a lot to consider, I suppose in my case after stepping back and looking at how we will use it the salon and bridge become larger in importance. I am don't think we will get the boat off the Tennessee river or the lakes it is connected too.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In that case you'll probably be fine with anything from a houseboat on up. The boats mentioned here are all of similar build quality and handling characteristics. I generally caution people that, if they're considering different size vessels that they go with the bigger. They'll usually be there within 2 years anyway, and it will save a commission. When you look at a boat with 3 SRs as opposed to 2 in the same size, look at those SRs carefully. You'll often find that the 3rd SR isn't usable except for storage or very small kids, and the other rooms will have shrunk.
    Finally, DK if waiting for 2013 is a great idea unless you have to. With the economy as it is and winter storage bills coming due, this is probably the best time to buy unless you're buying new. For new the boat shows will probably bring some deals. Also, buying a boat can easily take several months from signing to launch, especially when it gets in the middle of spring launch season. A purchase in March can often lead to a mid-summer launch and lose you a season.