Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Shower Drain Boxes. Anything Better Than Rule?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, May 12, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I have four of these Rule multi port shower drain boxes on my boat for showers and fish box gutter drains:

https://www.amazon.com/Rule-Multi-S...5&sprefix=rule+multiport+drain,aps,147&sr=8-1

I find them to be unreliable as it seems like every year I'm replacing one or more. Does anyone have a suggestion for something similar that lasts longer and is more reliable? Most often it seems like the float switch goes bad but the pumps crap out too.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Rule float switches suck. The newer rule switches use a clip in base. I keep swapping them out, with a last receipt get another one. Think I've got a good set working now. All mfgs had to get away from the mercury that was used in the older switches. I can't say if another brand is any better.
    Those little 800 & 1K gph pumps can not eat hair and soap chunks. Locks up the shaft between the impeller and motor base. That lil screen is worthless and has to be removed to install the Rule clip in super switch. As liveaboards we found the real Liquid Plumber Gell every 6 months helped on this. Weekend users may just need it yearly. Don't use store or Green brands,,, worthless.
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I even went so far to build my own sump in a past boat using a 2000 pump. It worked well but I relized the bigger pump,, pump much quicker and the system cycles quickly. Like Hatterasses, a wide sump helps on this. The 1750 pump helped also.
    Robertoman likes this.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Don't use chlorine tabs here, the plastic gets brittle. I learned that the hard way also.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The small Par diaphragm pumps work a lil better but kills the small package design. My ER sump uses this pump.
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Ultra Safety Systems powered float switches are worth their weight in gold . Especially in hard to reach bilges or nasty grey water sumps. They're pricy but worth it as they offer a minimum 5 year warranty on the Jr. & Mini models and the larger float switches have a lifetime warranty. I would venture to say that the mini would fit your Rule sump and be trouble free for years as long as you clean the sump bottom and walls of crud every six months.
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I've heard they are great but look awfully large for this application and a 1.5" differential to activate is a bit much.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I believe Whale makes a direct pump , no sump involved. No experience with them though reviews were good
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I haven’t had much luck with whale pumps.

ultra switches aren’t cheap but you get what you pay for. I m replacing replacing every failing rule switch with an ultra. I keep a spare on board at all time now.
  10. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

I have a couple of the Rule drain boxes on my boat. One handles A/C condensation. The other handles 2 showers. After a couple of years replacing float switches on the shower sump every few months, I installed a Johnson electronic switch. Every couple of months, I open up the box and scrub soap scum off of the switch and pump while running the shower to keep water coming in. An old tooth brush works well.

I do keep the original cylinder style strainer in place to catch most of the scum and hair. In 8 years since switching to the electronic float switch, I’ve had to replace one pump and one float switch. The failure was the result of my not maintaining a clean switch which caused the pump to stay on for an extended period until the pump gave out.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have tried electronic switches. Glad you are getting some service out of them.
    We have discovered them (Multi vendor) true PIA's and not usable in shower sumps or slightly dirty bilges. The last thing you need is a temperamental bilge pump switch.
    We had customers request dual float switches trying to find security and sleep well.
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

When it comes to float switches, IMHO there is nothing built for the nautical industry that comes close to the simplicity and reliability of the industrial stuff I already suggested 2+ years ago, from post #27 onward of this thread.
    I have onboard 15 of them, all by now 18 years old, and counting.
    Why I even bother checking them periodically, I honestly don't know.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I remember them. They re similar to the ultra switches in design without the enclosure.
  14. johnrupp

johnrupp New Member

I’ve had good luck with Whale Gulper 220 pumps. It installs directly in discharge line. No sump used.
    John
  15. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

I´m a huge fan of the Whale Gulper 220 with or without the Whale sump box (which is good quality by the way). These pumps event swallow water with some spaghetti from the galley without complaining.
  16. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

Did the previous owner remove the gray water tank that Roscioli installed for the showers, sinks and air handler condensation drains? Should have Groco submersible macerator pump and float built in. Mine has it installed in the forward compartment with the black water tank and never given us any problems.
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I have the original gray water tank and pump in the forward compartment. Like yours, mine has never given me any issues (knock wood). The Rule drain boxes I have are for the fish boxes and gutters around them. I only use the port fish box for fish since the boxes are so big. On that box I installed a macerator at the drain but still have the drain box for the gutter. The Stbd fish box is used for storage and the box and gutter drain to a Rule drain box. Seems like every year I’m replacing a pump or float. This year it was another float switch.

For the port side master stateroom shower I did modify the drain though. The gray tank Roscioli did is awesome. But there wasn’t enough slope in that drain line and it was always very slow to drain. We built our own drain box out of a battery box with a float switch and pump. The shower drains straight down into this box and it then pumps into the gray tank. It works great but I did have to replace that float switch too a few years ago.

I think I’ll try the Ultra Safety float switches and see how well they last.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think they make a mini. Never seen one.
    Please let us know how it turns out. A pic of the mini and your installation would be great.
  19. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

SplashFl likes this.
  20. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

My fish box gutters drain direct to port and starboard discharge manifolds and work well without the sumps. Both boxes use whale pumps for discharging.