Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Shore Power Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by lacabina, Jul 20, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lacabina

lacabina Member

The following scenario occurred yesterday. I know nothing about electricity and thought that I would put this out for suggestions.

I have been at a new marina for a few months. Three times I have arrived at the boat and the shore power cord was loose from the box on the dock. I have thought nothing of it and just re-plugged in, thinking that someone might have knocked it loose.
    Yesterday I decided to de-grease and clean my bilge. We have great water pressure on this dock. I cleaned, sprayed some water, and pumped into a container all of the dirty bilge water.
    When I came up from the bilge I noticed that the shore power indicator was showing no power. I went to the box. Sure enough the plug was loose. I re-plugged, went to the meter, clicked to shore, and it showed full power to the boat. One problem though, no power to the refrig, a/c, lamp etc. I went to the fuse box. No blown fuses. I went to the circuit breakers both at the box and at the base of the power line at the bow. Re-set all. Still no power to the appliances. Yet the meter showed full power from shore. Turned the switch at the meter to off, turned it back to shore and it indicated no power. Went out to the box, re-plugged and repeated the process. Meter shows full power into boat but no power to 110 units on the boat when switched to shore. Turn switch at meter to off, turn back to shore, no power indicated into boat.
    My gut tells me that maybe the water spray hit something in the bilge it should not have. But I am totally stumped as to why the meter would show full power coming from shore, but no power being distributed throughout boat.
    Are there any members with electrical knowledge that could suggest a troubleshoot checklist? I haven't a clue!
    Thanks
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Lacabina,

I'm going to copy this thread over to the general technical discussion to put it in front of more viewers. Hopefully someone will recognize this scenario and be able to make some suggestions.

Carl
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Couple of thoughts that may help.
    This could be anything from a sub-breaker that has gone south even though you are resetting it to multiple device failures from the surges as the power has been connected and disconnected.

1) pick up a circuit checker at any local hardware store. Looks like a plug with 3 LEDs on it. about 10.00.
    2) while you are at the hardware store pick up some "zap straps"/cable ties. There are some that have a separate hole at one end. Get some 3 inch and some long ones.
    Use a short one to make a collar around the cable close to the plug. Feed a long strap through the loop and then around the shore outlet and tighten it up. This will keep the plug secure. Any time that you want to unplug just use a pair of side-cutters on the long strap and you are off.
    3) Plug the circuit checker in to the outlet that one of the devices that isn't working is plugged in to. If you have power and the LEDs light up then the device is damaged. If you don't have power then the circuit breaker for that outlet has failed.

Always use the circuit checker before you plug in to shore power. If there are hot grounds as indicated by the checker don't plug in, it's an unsafe condition.

Links to a circuit checker and zap straps:
    The links are not functioning properly.
    Go to homedepot.com and look for Gardner Bender
    GFCI Circuit Tester
    Model GFI-501A

and

Gardner Bender
    11 in. Black Nylon Cable Ties (Pkg. Of 100)

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU... Categories/Tools & Hardware&MID=9876&pos=p07

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU... Categories/Tools & Hardware&MID=9876&pos=p07
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Another thought.
    You mentioned fuses. Water/humidity and electricity don't play nicely together.
    With the power off, remove the relevant fuses and put in new ones. Fuses can look ok and actually be dead. Also, just removing a fuse and putting it back in may help if the contact areas have mild corrosion on them.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I once had almost the same problem and it turned out (after 24 hours of search) that the landplug had a wire that was more carbon than copper.

Simply burnt inside the cheramic where it was fitted, hard to see without taking it out and it gave indications of power, but it was not enough to run anything to put it simple.

My plug was also getting loose, maybe the burning wire was vibrating from the power cycle? Anyway, it was a five minute job after I found out!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds as if the plug on the end of your shorepower cable is shorting out inside or has corrosion and is heating up and contracting causing it to come loose from the box. If the connections inside are bad it could still send 110 volts per leg to your boat, but not enough current to do anything. As soon as you turn on anything requiring electricity that there is no current. Also your boat should have breakers for the shorepower (or fuses depending on age) there could be a bad connection in there or have popped if the end is shorting. If you're not familiar with electricity, by all means hire a qualified marine electrician who can probably fix the problem in 2 hrs and save you a lot of hassle
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Recieved this note from Steve (screen name: lacabina)

Hey Carl,

Thanks for the response. Today I went back to the boat and the shore power worked! My guess is that water splashed and caused something to malfunction. I sprayed the area with CRC and all seems fine. Not really comfortable with the fact that it happened though.

It is very comforting to know that the Internet has made owning these rare classics more of a pleasure. It is nice to know that one is not alone.

Take care...

Admin note: Thank to everyone for helping out! :)