Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Shore Power Issue

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by lacabina, Jul 20, 2005.

1. lacabina

lacabina Member

The following scenario occurred yesterday. I know nothing about electricity and thought that I would put this out for suggestions.

I have been at a new marina for a few months. Three times I have arrived at the boat and the shore power cord was loose from the box on the dock. I have thought nothing of it and just re-plugged in, thinking that someone might have knocked it loose.
    Yesterday I decided to de-grease and clean my bilge. We have great water pressure on this dock. I cleaned, sprayed some water, and pumped into a container all of the dirty bilge water.
    When I came up from the bilge I noticed that the shore power indicator was showing no power. I went to the box. Sure enough the plug was loose. I re-plugged, went to the meter, clicked to shore, and it showed full power to the boat. One problem though, no power to the refrig, a/c, lamp etc. I went to the fuse box. No blown fuses. I went to the circuit breakers both at the box and at the base of the power line at the bow. Re-set all. Still no power to the appliances. Yet the meter showed full power from shore. Turned the switch at the meter to off, turned it back to shore and it indicated no power. Went out to the box, re-plugged and repeated the process. Meter shows full power into boat but no power to 110 units on the boat when switched to shore. Turn switch at meter to off, turn back to shore, no power indicated into boat.
    My gut tells me that maybe the water spray hit something in the bilge it should not have. But I am totally stumped as to why the meter would show full power coming from shore, but no power being distributed throughout boat.
    Are there any members with electrical knowledge that could suggest a troubleshoot checklist? I haven't a clue!
    Thanks
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Lacabina,

I'm going to copy this thread over to the general technical discussion to put it in front of more viewers. Hopefully someone will recognize this scenario and be able to make some suggestions. Here's the link so you can keep on eye on replies...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3360

Carl