Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Shop in Puget Sound to Restore a RIB Tender?

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by DOCKMASTER, Feb 2, 2023.

1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Does anyone know of a good shop in Puget Sound or Portland area to get a tender repaired or restored? I have an older Novurania 430 DL and the tubes need to be replaced. It doesn't look like they are the simple slide in type and appear to be glued in. I would like to have additional restoration work done at the same time but the re-tube is the main issue I need done.
    Would also consider just buying a replacement if in good condition but not seeing much out there. I want to stay same size at 14' .
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Cleaning the tube not work?
    Your painters still there?
    I have seen pretty good paint on tubes.
    Yes, just a few years but it looked for a while longer.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Discovered the tube is rotting pretty bad. It is separating on the bottom where it attaches to the RIB. Defenetly needs replaced. We didn't see it until we lifted up to load on a trailer to take the outboard in for service and saw the bottom. It's toast :(:(
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ouch. Bummer.:(:(
  5. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Yep, no cleaner for you !:D
  6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I replaced a tube on a largish Novurainia once. It was 14' or better. The thing had come adrift on top of an 80' Sunseeker in a rough seaway, pulling the lag screwed chocks out of the teak and fiberglass upper deck, hung off the side and destroyed the tube. After months of it being on order, the tube arrived in our shop in Zihuatenejo, Mexico, and work began. Stripping the damaged tube off was itself an ordeal, since a heat gun, acetone, lacquer thinner, and other solvents we tried wouldn't do anything to the adhesive. It was all scrape and cut. The fiberglass substrate took a real beating.
    Installing a new tube was a horrible experience. We were using the recommended adhesive, which was a two-part contact cement, and didn't have a lot of open working time. I didn't even know there was a two-part contact cement before that! It took eight guys to lift the tube in place during assembly because that thing is heavy and really unwieldy. We did a lot of prep work to make it go well for our one-shot effort, including building a frame to stabilize the stripped upside down hull and dry fitting the thing a few times until we found the ideal tube inflation pressure. Too much inflation splayed the tube ends out and away from the companion surface, and too little made it impossible to hold onto or allowed wrinkles.
    If I had it to do all over again; I wouldn't. The yacht's engineer, captain and crew were all involved in the job, and although it came out properly fitted and cosmetically acceptable, neither the captain or I had a lot of confidence that there would be long term durability. He sold the tender and bought another.
    There is a world of difference in doing a job like that in a factory setting where all the jigs and lifting frames are available in a climate controlled environment, and a shop that may do jobs like that occasionally.
    I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to find out what the availability is for the tube. the delivery timetable, and getting a recommendation for an installation facility.
    If your dingy still holds air, I would clean the mating surfaces and re-glue with a polyurethane adhesive. Something similar to 5200, but the type that comes in gallon cans with a two part catalytic process, as there are curing time table and condition advantages:
    https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/twopart-polyurethane-adhesive-cure/
    The same or similar type adhesive may be suitable for coating thin areas.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  7. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Passed edit limit by 1 minute, but saw the other thread and CaboFly's definitive answer. Looks like the real deal!
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

d_meister does remind me;
    As much as we luv to rebuild our boats and engines, RIBs have been to me, typically disposable.

When we go on long trips, I usually buy up a lil used RIB on its last leg, bolt on my ole craftsman air cooled outboard and have a tender for a few weeks.
    When we come back to Jax, I sell, trade or give it away (less the lil outboard) and never see it again. So, with this silly story, you can tell I'm not invested in an expensive RIB.

But if I was, my logic would go here;

Do you resole your shoes or get new ones.
    Yes, you can re-sole or re-tube, maybe saving a few pennies, or just go for a whole new model with warranties and not worry about it again for a while.
    If you really (really, really) like the engine, move it to the new RIB.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

RC... remember these are not 8-9ft dinks here. When you get up to 14ft. CC dinks there's a few more bucks involved, as we know the fiberglass part and everything in it is still very useable. So even if you pay a few G's for retubing your still ahead of the game.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am afraid, a new tube installed is more than a few Gs.
    But, like my 45 year old boat.
    After I fixed her up last year, new shaft, new swim platform, new bottom, prop work and a tab representing a large percentage of her total value,, she is still a 45 year old boat that did not increase in value.
    That new lip stick does look good though.

It may be the same for DM's RIB and should be considered.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

BTY
    Gongrads on you 1000th post.
    I am honored it was towards me.
    MB.jpg
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I'm looking at complete replacement boat as an option as well.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Nuff Said :D:D
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

May I modify your thread?
    Are you shopping for another RIB?
    What makes air tubes so worthy over a regular V bottom hull?
    It's not the room they offer.
    I don't see any better ride, cost or much weight savings either.
    So, your shopping for a tender? Micro fish boat? Something for the kids to play in?
    Explore in?
    Or you like the ole bumper cars.
  15. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I like the RIB boats as they are they are lightweight yet stable. A Whaler or other type will be heavier and not as stable. Also like the inflatable so when the kids bonk the bigger boat bringing it in it doesn’t damage anything. It’s a tender so used for:
    1) Safety (primary evacuation means if necessary)
    2) shore boat for exploring
    3) kids use it for messing around and setting/retrieving crab pots.

14’ is max I have room for. Prefer to stay close to this size for capacity and don’t really want to go smaller. I have found a few folks on the west coast that have businesses where they buy these, refurbish and sell. Looking at a few available from one of these guys down in the L.A. area.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A few years ago, I was introduced to a family that made aluminum prams, Jon-boats and tenders.
    I was intrigued with a nice 13 foot v hull. Unsinkable, stable, piles of engine and control options and a beautiful D rail that bounced off of everything like a RIB.
    Less the engine, I could pick up the hull myself.
    They were excited with their area niche and was asking about if installing a jet option would be interesting.

Then suddenly, they were gone. I understand a truck wreck.

I was chicken stuff at the time (broke as usual), should of bought the one I was looking at.
    I have still been interested with what I found and can only wonder why somebody else has not stepped up with a similar tender offering.

Somewhere, somehow, there has to be a line of lil alloy boats to compete with these overpriced RIBs.
    I was hoping there was some offerings on your side of the world.

My partner was shopping for RIBs a few years ago. Although he was excited about an aluminum hull RIB, he needed something that week and picked up an AB model with console and Yam outboard.
    Later, he admits he should of waited for the aluminum RIB. So much lighter.
    He does think the air chambers cushion the ride. I don't think this but he has made himself happy with what he has.
    Oh, the two of us can not fit well on it.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Just sealed the deal on this one this morning. It will also come with a trailer. I was on the bubble about an outboard that isn't fuel injected. I figured I'll throw a new outboard on it at some point if determined necessary. This one makes it easy as it drops right into existing chocks and is a virtual match for what I had. My research also determined the Novurania are deeper V than most and considered a drier ride and better sea keeping.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/d/carson-novurania-400-rib-with-new-tubes/7582449691.html
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fuel gauge has an issue. Is reads empty.
    Make sure that is fixed before delivery.
    :D:D
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  19. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Changing plans just a bit. I found a newer Novurania, exact same model as mine and with a much newer fuel injected outboard vs. carbs on the other one. And for less $$. I really prefer to get fuel injected as they just start much better, especially in the cold. Hoping to finalize purchase tomorrow. I felt a little bad backing out of the other one but I never signed anything nor put any $$ down. The used dealer I was buying from was dissapointed but didn't make too much fuss. Hopefully Karma is understanding :):)