Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Shipping my 2007 Silverton 42C just purchased

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by heatrecovery, Apr 17, 2010.

1. heatrecovery

heatrecovery New Member

Hi,
    I'm brand new to yachting and just bought a Silverton 42 convertible 2007 with the help of my broker. It will have to be shipped from Rhode Island to McKinley Marina, Milwaukee. The question is should I bottom it around or remove the top and ship it the 1050 miles ground? Is there a recommendation to turnkey it either route? I close between now and May 1st. Is there a recommendation for someone familiar with this boat to turn key it?
    Thanks,
    I can't wait to get er on the Great Lakes!
  2. Mark I

Mark I Member

There are some very experienced captains here so I think you will get some valuable advice.

For what it is worth, my personal opinion would be that it is better for the boat to be run on her own hull around. Plus it is a nice adventure.
  3. heatrecovery

heatrecovery New Member

Thank you for your reply. I just got aboard this platform and you're the first to reply. I need to find out how many miles and how long it would take at 30 mph to make the run. The boat has only 140 hours on it.
    Thanks,
    John
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Take about 5 days running, running daylight hours, though it may take more time due to weather delays, 2 weeks on the outside. Personally I'd run the boat across on its own bottom. It should fit through the Erie Canal so it's a pretty direct trip. You can hire it done or hire someone to help you or just go it with a friend depending on your experience and time availability. I don't much like trucking boats long distances because it concentates weight and stresses on small points rather than the entire bottom, although boats that size and even larger are trucked on a frequent basis. If I was going to truck it, I'd want to see air ride suspension on both the tractor axles and trailer.
  5. jhartog

jhartog New Member

seems to me that if you're new to yachting, or even just new to this particular boat, you'd want to run it yourself, either with a delivery capt or an experienced friend, and learn about the boat enroute.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Bring it yourself with a friend or with a delivery skipper if you need the training. Easier in the boat and a nice trip

you may want to run it slow to reduce fuel burn and wear and tear, especialy if it has gas engines. Although at that size the fuel savings may not be that big
  7. heatrecovery

heatrecovery New Member

Running by Truck

Thanks for the advice. Apparently a good deal of timing came by where I'll be able to get the boat torn down Weds, loaded Thurs, and I should have it in McKinley Marina, Milwaukee by next Monday or Tuesday. I'm flying my broker out today to RI, as he has been pretty helpful and it looks like a wash for cost either route, so I'll be able to save on the hours. The trucker has shipped Silvertons before so it seems pretty safe. The weather doesn't look too good either way so V shall C. The truck has to have air ride suspension as you indicated. Thank you. I'm specifying that it be wrapped with plastic. Hopefully I'll be running Lake Michigan next week all prepped and ready.