Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Seeking owners experience with Elling Yachts E3 E4 or E6

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JunkRat, Jan 26, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JunkRat

JunkRat Banned

Experienced sailor is seeking coastal cruising yacht for full time travel, planning to spend as much time as possible at anchor and will be single or double handing.

The Elling series of Yachts look perfect for me, maybe start with an E3 or E4 for a couple years then move up to an E6 when I'm ready to go further.

I'd really like to hear some experiences from anyone on this forum who has owned any of their boats. They don't seem to be well represented in the USA, but I haven't found any others like it.

I like that they are non-flybridge, CE A rated, very solid hulls, and make great use of space. I'm not a fan of the Motor is under a Galley Cabinet situation, though. My previous boat had this and it was a PITA to work on the motor. I'd much prefer a proper engine room with, if not standing height, at least some space around the motor. But this arrangement is what gives these boats the aft cabin that I love so much... and so much accommodations for the length.

I'm keen to hear about the shortcomings of these boats. I want to know if you like them overall, but everything that you don't like is much more valuable and important feedback. Pleasant surprises are not a problem , but unpleasant ones I'd like to avoid.

I'm re-arranging schedule to try and make it to Miami in the hopes of seeing their boats. (Their website says they will be there, but not which models will be there.)

FWIW, the things drawing me to the Elling are all performance related- love the self righting, love that its a proper offshore boat though at this stage I'm only going to do coastal cruising at the most-- maybe a hop from Florida to the Caribbean. Not in a hurry for ocean passages.

Also, if you have an E3 or E4, where do you keep your dinghy? The swim platform or on the front deck?

Does the E4 have the mast lowering system like the E3?

Finally, the bridge clearance of the E6 seems suspiciously low. Does its mast lower as well?
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I represented Elling back in 2013 and 2014 and wrote the YachtForums review on the Elling 49. The owner of Elling is a very intelligent and energetic Dutchman but has no loyalty to his sales reps. I got a lot of publicity for him, began building a loyal following, sold 2 Ellings but he cancelled his representation with me for someone who bought 2 Ellings for stock boats. I sold one of them for him. When that dealership didn't go anywhere, Elling got another rep that promised to buy new demos. In spite of my disappointment with how he does business, he builds good boats. The company support on used boats in the US is weak, but the project manager is a great guy and helps out when he can.

One of the E4 owners is here onboard at YF. I'll ping him for you.

Meanwhile, check out: https://www.yachtforums.com/review/elling-49-e4.22489/

Judy
  3. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Ok Junk-Guy, JWY was "thunking" on my brain this morning. . . .

I’ve owned an E4 since May of 2016, and could not be happier. It is truly a unique vessel with outstanding sea-keeping abilities. That said, as a 23 year veteran of the U.S. Merchant Marine, sailing as a deck officer and Master, I’m not about to take a small vessel trans-ocean; not because of the vessel though. I’ve just been thrashed about at sea enough. I bought the boat to do “The Loop”, and maybe Bahamas. The second owner Looped with it and went to Bahamas. With a 4’ draft, and 12’ air-draft (with the moveable radar bridge down), the vessel goes in close, and under most bridges without having to wait for the bridge operator.

I’m sure you’ve read that Anton (the builder) took three of the E4’s across the pond. The vessel is indeed that good, and should I ever want to experience the wonderment of rough seas, as in a Beaufort 8 (full gale), I’d take the E4. The fact that it has such positive stability, and will return upright if rolled over, is most comforting.

Structurally, the vessel is “well found”, with solid construction and well executed features. Mine has the Volvo D6-435 with no wing engine. With bow and stern thrusters, maneuvering in tight quarters is quite easy. The previous owner placed a dingy with 20hp on the swim platform, and the parasol gangway acts as the davit to launch the dingy. Clever arrangement.

Fuel economy is fantastic. Run at 1500 rpm’s and you’ll go 2100 miles on a tank. (But, you’ll want to run the engine at 2300-2500 for about 5 minutes every hour underway to exercise the turbo and blow out the crap. According to Volvo guy).

As you mentioned, the E4 suffers from “lack of local knowledge”. As far as I know, I have the only Elling E4 in FL, and dealer support therefore is delayed. However, I’ve had great help from Richard and Anton whenever I had a mini-crisis. What “mini-crisis” you’d ask? Goofy stuff, such as adjusting the air-pump for the roof bladder, or tracking down the "unicorn" electrical breaker.

Service hasn’t been a problem. The Volvo guys have done the annual; the AC (cruise-air) replaced a sensor. Work space is tight, but removable bulkheads allow good access. If one wants a full-size stand-up engine room, buy a bigger boat. From my observation, it’s time-consuming and somewhat difficult to get aft to inspect steering gear, and other equipment aft, but not insolvable. "Clever" is good; very good. However, "clever" also means "time-consuming" to access (LOL). At the annual haul-out is a good time to deal with that.

I viewed the vessel at the W.P. Beach boat show in January of 2016. When I walked aboard, I liked the clear walk-around deck, the solid life-rails around the deck, the massive deck cleats, and low-profile wheelhouse. It was obvious to me the vessel had sea-legs. Going below, I still recall my thought: “This is the biggest G.D. 50 foot boat I’ve ever seen!!!”. Lots of room, lots of head room – Even my 6 foot 2 inch kid is amazed at the headroom.

The vessel has survived the two latest hurricanes here at the dock, secured by 24 lines (3 strand nylon; 3/4 inch diameter). No damage at all. (God bless those cleats)

Everything is well thought out. And just for mindless-anecdotal "stuff", I ended up buying the boat that was reviewed-as I found out during the purchase process.

As far as viewing an E4, during the Fort Lauderdale show in November 2018, there was only the E6 at the show-a VERY FINE vessel for sure. If you want to see an E4, you'll most likely have to come by Cocoa Village, and I'll let you drool on mine!!! If YForums allows, you can PM me.
  4. JunkRat

JunkRat Banned

Thanks very much for the very detailed response. If I went this route, I would buy an E3 or E4 (maybe have to get them shipped from Europe) and cruise the great loop in it, and maybe the gulf of mexico, eastern seaboard etc-- staying mostly in sight of land. If I ever got to the point where I wanted to cross oceans, I think I'd be buying an E6 first (or some other larger boat.)

But you have experience crossing oceans and I don't. How about a panama transit? Would you say this boat would be a reasonable boat for someone with your experience to take down to panama and thru the canal and up to alaska? You mentioned you wouldn't take it across the atlantic, and I respect that. But would a panama canal transit be in that same ballpark for you, or do you see that as more reasonable for your E4?

I've read several accounts of panama transits, and I know I'm not yet ready for that. That's fine, I won't be doing it until I can read those accounts and go "yep, I can handle that". I'm asking about the boat itself and what you feel is prudent because you certainly have the experience to do it.
  5. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

As you mentioned, the boat's rated CE "A". Here's the definition of "A" from documents from that side of the pond:
    "A. Ocean: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.’;

The definition is amended to exclude abnormal conditions, such as hurricanes and tornadoes and extreme sea conditions or freak waves generated by abnormal conditions".

Although I've not made the trip you are suggesting, the boat is up to the task. Plan accordingly. Just remember, that if you decide to run at max RPM's that 400 gallons in the tank disappears at the rate of 7/10 gallon per mile.
  6. JunkRat

JunkRat Banned

Roger, I'm not up for the task at this point and yes, I'm well aware of the limits. Speed is for getting out of weather, to a place of shelter and fuel...

Thanks for your assessment of the boat!
  7. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Oh, one more thing - the freezer compartment in the galley is pretty weak. Owner #2 of my boat had the foresight to put an ice maker and an additional freezer where the seating arrangement is, just aft of the wheelhouse on the port side. BEST ADDITION EVER!!!

The wine storage below the galley deck is wonderful. Although my preference is beer, or Grand Marnier.
    Trust me - YOU WANT AN E4!!!
    Fair winds & following seas!