Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Seeking advice on towing

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Greg Roy, Jun 27, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Roy

Greg Roy New Member

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any opinion or fact that you throw in. I have a 43' Viking Aft Cabin with twin DD671's that I intend to cruise anywhere from the Gulf Coast of Fl. to Bahamas, potentially Mexico on down the coast to Central America. A friend suggested acquiring a seaworthy 25' +/- sailboat (with a small diesel motor) cheaply to use as a towable "garage/fuel depot". The idea would be to gut it and add fuel storage, tools, an additional freezer, maybe some trade goods, etc. In a pinch, the sailboat could also tow the Viking. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the viability, pro's and con's. Additional strain on the DD's, loss of fuel economy on the Viking, navigational issues, etc. I will primarily anchor out, but of course occasionally need to put into port for resupply, etc. One last note, the sailboat would be a vessel unto herself and be capable of independent operation as needed.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

in a pinch, sailboat could tow the Viking ??? Yeah sure.

with all due respect your friend need to check his meds. :) this plan makes no sense whatsoever. Let me guess… he is an RVer towing a trailer and believes the same can be done on the ocean.

yes you tow the sailboat with the Viking but this will drastically slow you down as a 25 foot sailboat will not be able to be towed above its hull speed of about 6 kts being a full displacement hull. 6 knots is painfully slow and will cause issue with your Detroits as they will not stay at operating temperature

second, towing a boat isn’t fun. It requires a lot of effort, attention especially when arriving in a marina or anchorage. To many, it is worth towing a center console that you can use to explore your destinations but towing a boat you can’t use?

fuel is available pretty much everywhere, especially when running a diesel boat at hull speed. You should have enough space on a 43 to store tool and spare parts. Yes refrigeration is limited but how are you going to power a freezer on a gutted 25’ sailboat ?? Let me guess solar panels. Yeah, right.

trade goods? If you mean merchandise you can sell to make a few bucks, wait till local customs start asking questions…

if you want a little more storage space, maybe a 20/24’ center console will help and will double as a tender. You ll lose a little fuel economy but not much

finally, I think you need to set some realistic goals with a boat that small. Bahamas, sure. Caribbean? Doable but there are some long overnight passages to get there and typically rough waters? Central America? Same thing. Too small a boat. Doable? Yes. Enjoyable? Probably not. And considering the questions you re asking I d say you should wait a few years before trying.

if long distance cruising is your goal, sell the Viking and buy a 50/55 trawler designed for this.
    SeaLion and Capt Ralph like this.
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Agree with Pascal, hull speed not surfing of a 25 foot sail boat is but one limiting factor.
    Besides, how many of us have seen a sailboat in tow other than is distress?
    Buy a bigger boat to get more freezer, fuel, storage capacity not to mention range as, once again, Pascal points out.

#listentopascal
    SeaLion and Capt Ralph like this.