Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Seeking advice before purchasing a superyacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Jediah, Sep 30, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jediah

Jediah Guest

Hi to you all yacht owner and yacht lovers!
    I hope you guys are doing well and wealthy and most important of all, that you all are healthy!
    I am Yaser MP Feyli and i just turned 30 and i live in sweden with my wife and daughter that is 4 and my son that is almost 6 months!
    My wife and i hade alot of ideas of getting a world cruiser superyacht that we could not only to travel in, but also live in 365 days a year and 24/7.
    We are ppl that likes to move around, we never stay in same place all the time, we move on and live here and there.
    We have thought about a 3 deck 197 ft / 60 meter superyacht!
    Together we have been looking on the internet for a pre owned yacht for a cheap price.
    But the price for a Superyach is like over 16 Mil $ usd, whitch we dont afford.
    We tho alot of a stell hull and aluminium superstructer, but we got scared of getting rust on the steel hull.
    we hade a idea of Stainless Steel hull, but if i am not wrong the salt water will like acid and the hull will corrode.
    After along serch on the internet i read some post that honeycomb is strong as steel, is that true?
    is it more cheaper to build this 197¨ft world courier superyacht in honeycomb and aluminium superstructer? what would happen to the honeycomb if a fire occure on board? and what if the yacht takes a hit in to something?
    And would it be much cheaper and stronger to build the whole superyacht in honeycomb?
    How much will that honeycomb 197 ft tri deck yach cost us, if it is cheaper and strong as steel?
    My wife got this idea of getting a cheap yacht and renovate and remodel all the decks, they the question comes up, how much would that cost us?
    and she also comed up with the idea of having a large battry bank and lots of solar panels and electric engine insteed of diesel and gas engines!
    Is there any experinced ppl aboard this forums that can help us to land our feets on the earth again.
    What options and features is there for you as a yacht owner

With best and kindest reegards:
    Yaser MP Feyli
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Yaser,

I think you should search more on honeycomb, it is not what you build boats in, it is what can be built in as a core material in composite constructions. Mainly used in the interior for lightweight construction.
  3. Jediah

Jediah Guest

I see, Thank you very much for the instant replay and the info:D
    What do you think of this Stainless stell hull idea? Is it true that the steel hull will corrode in the salt water?
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you don´t paint it, all steel will rust. In salt water, even stainless.
  5. Jediah

Jediah Guest

Is there any electric engine for yachts? my wife hade this idea about having solar panels and a huge battery bank that runs this electric engines?
    do you think we should buy a cheap yacht and renovate and remodel all the decks? who doas that kinda work for you? will that save us some money?
    or should i buy a yacht from a shipyard and go from ground up?
  6. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Ya Yasir, buddy... you have many interesting questions, and your enthusiasm is so obvious and the vibe you have is nice. I wish you and the family good luck in your quest and suggest you start holding back and looking for facts and you are in the right place for that.

For your last question, you have to know that there are two parts, one called "Power Plant", and the other "Propulsion", the propulsion is what pushes the boat or moves it, it needs "juice" to do so, and it gets it from the power plant, the power plant can be a diesel, gasoline, natural gas, solar, nuclear engine, this engine either provides direct horse power to generate propulsion or it charges battery banks for an electric based propulsion. Propulsion units have a wide range of selection.

How efficient solar power will be for your needs, is a question that you should wait on its answer until you define what kind of boat and boating life you want, I am still wondering why you chose 197' and what will you do after two years when your kid will need to go to school.

Again, good luck!

Enjoy your stay at Yacht Forums!

Alf
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

What's your definition of cheap?
  8. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

What is your budget for the initial purchase of your yacht?

And then what is your budget yearly for normal upkeep like fuel, insurance, dockage, utilities(electric when docked, satellite internet/tv/phone), bottom painting, captain and crew, etc?

Sorry shazam, I was writing while you were posting.
  9. Jediah

Jediah Guest

Hello and thank you for your replay AlfredZ, and my respect to you!
    We acturly got love ones like indeed mother inlaw :( hope to drop her of the deck someday!
    My brother and his wife and his 2 kids, my brother inlaw and his family.
    Problem is that i have claustrophobia, and need alot of space and room, large space and room is indeed very good option.
    we gona teach and school them onboard, if we are on the sea.
    btw Alfredz do u know any shipyard that makes this kinda electric motors for yachts?
  10. Jediah

Jediah Guest

Hiya discokachina!
    May the peace and the light be upon you and your family!
    We tho around 12 mil $, and i never tho about the insurance, dockage, utilities(electric when docked, satellite internet/tv/phone), bottom painting!
    I am new to this kinda stuff, how much is it for this kinda stuff?
    But the question on the fuel we tho about electricity motors and solor panels, like alfredz said Electric Yacht Propulsion Systems, if i have not missunderstood him.
    we tho to take the yachtmaster education and skip the crew and capitan part.
    only family yacht, dont know if that is possible or not.
    but i dont think there is any law that stops a family to be thiers own crew as long as they have the yachtmaster education. or is there a law for that?
  11. Jediah

Jediah Guest

a smaller price range!
    For for example i find a yacht for 5 mil $ and to renovate and remodel all the decks cost 7 mil $
  12. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hold your horses there Yasir, a 197ft motor yacht is not a family boat! It is a fully operational municipality, yacht master education is a good step, go for it, but a certificate will not give you all the hands you need.

I advise you to take the family and charter an 80' yacht for a week, have a feel for the life and look around see how many people are serving you just to enjoy your time and multiply that by 100 times for the number of things they are doing and taking care of that you don't know about or even feel.

On 197' tri-deck like you are saying, I can't imagine that boat running with less than 20+ professional crew members. Even when you want to sleep, someone should be up monitoring how things are running and if the conditions are safe. Boating is joyful and handful!

Regards,
    Alf
  13. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Rule of thumb for maintenance of a yacht is 10% to 20% of its' cost or in your case if you spent $12M you will need to plan on spending between $1.2M and $2.4M to pay for the items I mentioned.

I doubt you will be able to fit enough solar panels on the top of a yacht to produce enough electricity to satisfy all the power demands on an almost 200 ft yacht not built for that purpose so you will be spending money for electricity one way or the other.

As far as a captain your insurance company will certainly require you to have one until you become a captain.

As far as crew unless your family members know how to perform the daily maintenance tasks necessary to keep a yacht running you will need at least an engineer in addition to a captain at a minimum which will cost I would imagine around $200K per year.

Good luck!
  14. Jediah

Jediah Guest

God bless that why i turned to you guys befor making any stupid yacht deal!
    How and what about Haregrav yachts there is one boat that is called Dreamer 136 Tri deck, but i dont know if they ship all the way to sweden!
    Any ideas of what kinda yacht that is good enugh for us in the family?
    Still we did like to put the crew aside, so no 20+ professional or 8+ professional ppl.
    And by the way Alfred its Yaser, but u can call me Yass:D
  15. Jediah

Jediah Guest

i am happy that you guys are very helpful and give me right advice thats why i registered on this site.
    i have lreaned so much thanks to you guy's, and sometimes things are maybe not meant to happen, purhaps to go smaller and look for another another opportunity.
    But i know for sure thanks to you guys advice and help i will find something that will fits my needs.
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Is Yasar teasing all of us?
  17. Jediah

Jediah Guest

i beg a pardon
  18. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Yasser,

First of all sorry for the mis-spelling, I had a friend who's name was spelled with an "I".

I think you have to organize your thoughts and build your questions around them, if you have not been on the type of boat you are dreaming of, it is hard to build a decision. Boats have different categories to satisfy different people and different boating needs. Have a look on these threads and search around for the subjects you want to ask about, you will find that many of your questions are already answered, if not, you will know in which thread you have to ask, then, click the "Reviews" button on the top menu, it will take you into an exciting walk-through on many of the greatest boats ever built, look at the pictures and read until you have a critic point of view, along with the definitions you will get from other threads and some time spent on a real boat on the water you will get the best result and be happier than you would expect. Don't fear asking, all around here will be glad to pitch in, just organize your thoughts so you get the right answer without too much back and forth.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-trawler-discussion/18951-trawler-vs-motoryacht.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/18937-no-experience-solo-live-aboard-yacht.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/18979-project-vessel.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/18947-truly-unique-newbie-i-think-lol.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/15531-sportfish-obsession.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/18633-need-help-finding-suitable-yacht.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/18695-what-makes-yacht-special.html

Search around and you will find even more!

Enjoy your time.

Regards,
    Alf
  19. Jediah

Jediah Guest

dont worry about the spelling, its all good here bud!
    I am sure i will find a yacht that fits my needs!
    Thank you very much for your help, you ware awsome and may peace and the light be upon you and your family
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea, but in reality it is not that easy.

Being a boat Captain is a proffesion, that means you need to be a full-time
    life-long boater with plenty of experience and exams.
    Not very difficult, it just takes a long time.
    Like becoming a doctor, it takes over 10 years and not as easy as walking across the street to buy a license..

Sorry for bringing bad news, but I think you need a dose of reality..:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.