Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

SeaVision underwater lights...upgrade to LEDs?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Jun 6, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

we have a pair of Sea Vision HID underwater lights with what i assume is burned out bulbs, replaceable from inside. I see that SeaVision now has "upgrade" kits to replace the HID bulb and power supply to LEDs. Is it worth it? We dont care to lit up the water all red as if someone been bit by a shark... so tacky color change are not a consideration.

Is it worth putting in LED of just stick with the HIDs? I m leaning towards just replacing the bulbs
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's always worth going LED. There or anywhere else. You might even find you like the color options but mostly you'll like the quality of light and the reduced frequency of replacing bulbs. Just make sure you go with strong enough bulbs and the right type. I'm going to give that same answer whether in your home, on the boat, under the boat, or in a business. We've made very expensive changeovers in stores that in terms of the cost of bulbs or electricity may never pay for themselves or, at best, take years. However, the reduced annoyance of flickering lights or lights out and reduction in having to get someone to come in and change the bulbs only makes us wish we'd done it sooner. And the quality of light is great as well.

Caveat and full disclosure. While users of bulbs, we also do own a business that sells LED's so have some cause of prejudice. However, we got into that only after seeing the benefits. I will not disclose our business name as it's not my point to solicit business.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The HID's have a slightly brighter light. But burned out $75+ bulbs are quite common with them. Chances are you're going to need a $600 ballast in addition to bulbs on at least 1 of them. The LED's use less electric, don't burn out if you forget them on and run on plane, and last a lot lot longer. I'd convert them.......
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sea vision claim the HID won't suffer from being out of the water. We hauled out today and one the lens has a hairline crack. I guess we ll upgrade to LEDs
  5. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I upgraded from the HID to the LED RGB and so far, I'm worried they are not very bright. I'm waiting to get out of my dirty marina and into some cleaner water at night to get a better idea. For $6,000 I expected more.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you could find any local boat to compare to may help.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have been pushing the Aqualuma line. Gads of installs and older unit upgrades.
    Great LED packages.
    Even in the dark Ortega water, you can see the lights well past the swim platform.