Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Westport

SeaVana 60 C18 Cats???

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tedprosser, Dec 27, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tedprosser

tedprosser New Member

Does anyone know anythinng about a SeaVana 60

Looks like an interesting boat.

Would it make a good off shore cruiser? for runs to the Virgin Islands from Fla??

It has two C18 cats with 1000 + HP seem like a lot of power for a 60ft boat

Are the c18 capable of better fuel rates a lower speeds??

Thanks

Ted
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, CAT c-18's will burn a lot less fuel compared to vessel speed at 1,000 rpms and below. At hull speed (displacement) you should net much much better range and you'll be getting Miles per gallon versus gallons per mile. C18's are great engines and sound like they're about the right horsepower for a 60' boat. I used to run a 45' Sportfish express that had 1015hp C18 cats in it.

As for the Seavanna, I am not familiar with them at all. But a seaworthy 60' yacht is definately capable of making the trip from FLA to the Virgin Islands safely. I've done that trip in a 45' Searay before.
  3. tedprosser

tedprosser New Member

Thanks Capt J
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

1000hp is about right for such a boat... obviously the boat can make the trip although you might have to wait for the right weather for the open water sections, depending on the time of the year.

from what i remember, they didnt' built too many of them. a GOOD survey would be critical.
  5. I was a broker at Rex Yachts back in 2003, and we were promoting the SeaVana for the builder, took it to the Miami and Fort Lauderdale boat shows.
    The builder was a land based architect and builder, who thought he had some innovative use of space for the interior of the boat, and would come up with a new line of yachts to be sold in the US. The best thing he did was to hire Bill Dixon as designer. Bill designed the sucessful Johnson Yachts and many other custom builds.
    The yachts were built in England to US specs, but just at that time the US dollar started its long term fall and the price advantage of being built in England became a price disadvantage, and he did not have the budget to nationally promote a new line of yachts.
    The hull design and weight to horse power ratio was very similar to the 65 and 70 Johnson (High Tech) designed also by Bill Dixon. I ran a few of those boats and was extremely impressed with the sea keeping ability of those yachts.
  6. fdirocco

fdirocco New Member

How is th seakeeping profile of this boat on open water? How about hull structure and workmanship?

Thanks
  7. tedthered

tedthered New Member

Did you buy the Seavanna/ What were your findings?

Thanks Tedthered
  8. tedthered

tedthered New Member

I too am looking for info on SeaVanna's . If you can help . Thanks Tedthered