Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

Seaman's book

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by P1K1, Jun 29, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P1K1

P1K1 New Member

Hi there
    Can ANYONE please help me? I am a South African that has been in France since the beginning of May 2010. I have a three month schngen. I have found a job on a yacht till September.
    Can anyone, please, help me in what I must do in order to be able to stay here till then.
    Where and how can i get a seaman's book as I've heard that you can use that to stay and work then.
    Please, I am desperate for your help.
    Thank you
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What Flag is your yacht?
  3. P1K1

P1K1 New Member

Hi there
    It is Kayaman Islands, British, George town.
    That's all I know. Does that make sense?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

5. P1K1

P1K1 New Member

Thank you very much. What do you think are my chances, seeing as I am South African?
    My captian isn't really to keen on doing this foe me, so I am on my own.
    The thing is that I have a six month European visa, but only a 90day schengen. What is the best way I can go about it. Do you know how the days are affected if I leave the country and want to come back?
    For instance, does the 90days have a from and to date or is it 90 days within six months?
    Thank you very much for your help, you're a star
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have not been involved in an active vessels crew things for quite a while, when under construction we can issue letters to the shipyard who in turn approach Immigration and the holder of the dreaded Green Mamba usually get dispensation for a fixed period of time.

I have not heard of a European Visa previously just the Schengen Visa where I believe the 90 days is within 12 months in the Schengen countries.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
  7. P1K1

P1K1 New Member

Thank you very much.

Can you, perhaps, explain what you meant, by "when under construction we can issue letters to the shipyard who in turn approach Immigration and the holder of the dreaded Green Mamba usually get dispensation for a fixed period of time." Sorry, I am blonde lol lol lol

Thanks again
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A yacht undergoes a time of being assembled from boxes and flat plate into what you see in front of you in the marina.

This is generally know as being under construction.

As the boat itself does not have a registration document in this stage of it's life we can make a declaration to the shipyard building the yacht about a specific individual who we want to come to the project.

They will in turn approach the local Immigration People who they most likely already have a working relationship with and the application for dispensation commences from there.

This procedure will be no use to you at all for an existing boat. If you were to obtain a pozzie on one under construction then the OR could more than likely carry out the same steps outlines above.

"The Dreaded Green Mamba" is a term I have heard more than one of your countrymen and women use when referring to the colour of their Passports.