Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

Sealing 3 front windows - 5200 or windshield type?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by roamertim, Aug 23, 2006.

1. roamertim

roamertim Member

Hello fellow Roamers:)

Trying to reseat those 3 front windows on my '69 Roamer Regal. I've removed them and cleaned the areas and want to put some new sealant there as those windows have leaked. (They leaked on prior owner, likely the one before him as well - a bit of rot I had to deal with there.)
    So, the question....
    Given the flexing of this area of the boat, would you reccommend using 5200 for that permanet seal or a traditional sealant used in automotive windshields?

Auto makers solved leaking windshields long ago, but wondering which is the better option. I'm wondering if 5200 will be too stiff and break the seal after awhile.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Tim
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

No, no, no!
    DO not use 5200 on the windows. You'll never get it off. There are other products you can use, and I'm sure someone here will recommend an item. But the 5200 will adhere so well that if you ever need to replace it, you will have to cut it out with piano wire.
    Capt Tom
  3. roamertim

roamertim Member

I was thinking that as well. Thanks.
    Hoping someone here has found the right product,
    tim
  4. 67roamer

67roamer New Member

I used the traditional grey glazing putty you can buy in rolls at Home Depot
    You can still remove the windows later if need be
    It also flexes with as that area tends to have some movement which will stop the window from cracking
    I have also used clear 3M Silicone that is mildew resistant:)
    Hope this helps
  5. 45tf

45tf New Member

window sealant

Do not use any Home Depot household junk. Don't use the typical silicone caulk/sealant from home depot or the auto store either. These silicones will not stick for long, then they'll come out in long strings.

What you should use, and it's not easy to find, is GE UltraGlaze SSG4000 Silicone Structural Glazing Sealant. This is a one-component, high-strength, primerless, structural sealant specially designed to attach glass to metal framing systems. It can also be used as the weatherseal in glass-to-glass butt joints.

Bomar uses UltraGlaze to seal the Lexan into their cast aluminum hatches.

This stuff looks good, and lasts forever with no leaks.