Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Perko

Seafarer's Book

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Kelleyfish, Apr 22, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kelleyfish

Kelleyfish New Member

Hey there,

I'm leaving Canada to Italy to join my new boat next week. I noticed last year that everyone seemed to have a seafarer's book but me. Incase I'm calling it by the wrong name... It was a small booklet that worked as a marine passport. It also had your logged trips and training stamps in it.

If you know where I need to look for one, I'd really appreciate the help.

I checked out Transport Canada's website and gave them a call. The chick in the marine department had no idea what I was talking about.

Help?
  2. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi Kellyfish,

The official name is SEAMAN'S DISCHARGE BOOK.

People call it sometimes MARINE PASSPORT, SEAMAN'S BOOK, etc

Normally You get one in Your country.

But to sail onboard of yacht / ship You will get a equivalent seaman's book from flag authority. It can be MCA, Cayman, Marshall, St. Vincent & Gr. etc.

Application forms can be found on their i-net sites.

rgds,

Andrei
  3. Kelleyfish

Kelleyfish New Member

Can't find a seafarer's book in Vancouver.

Hey there,

Thanks for the great reply. It gave me some more confidence when I was googling. I still can't dig out the place in Canada where I can get one though.

This is going to sound really stupid but.. When I'm in another country I know that if I want Canadian help I go to the Canadian embassy or consulate. But I'm in Canada and I don't know where I should be asking about this stuff. haha.

I'm going to try to call a marine hardware store or something and see if they know where I can get one around here.

Thanks again.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Kelley,
    Where are you? I'm from Sarnia and always got mine at the Ship Safety office. It's a division of the Coast Guard (Transport Canada). In Canada it's called a Seaman's Discharge Book.